help with Timer

More
02 Feb 2014 23:18 - 02 Feb 2014 23:21 #43437 by rmattioda
Replied by rmattioda on topic help with Timer
[/u]ArcEye,JT,

[[/u]Bear with me on this one, I am not the LinixCNC jedi masters you guys are, plus maybe I have super bowl on the mind (go Broncos!). I am a bit confused on the last instruction.

There is no 'entire set of files' . All the info you need is in the header of the comp file
What I wanted was the actual copy of the directory folder that the example is using, that way I could see what and where things are placed, sometimes that works better for me.

Cut and paste the whole file and save as time2.comp
OK, this is where the confusion starts for me, Are you opening a Gedit screen and saving the entire file you have provided in the above yellow area and saving the file in the affected directory with the .comp extension?I do understand that you use the load command to get the pin in the HAL directory,..correct? because when I try that it will not show up in the HAL config tree.
Compile with sudo comp --install time2.comp
What does this mean? Are you installing the above file into the Linuxcnc program?

Add the pyvcp xml bit from the header to your pyvcp xml file, whatever it is called

This part I get,
Add the hal section of the header to your postgui.hal file ( you have not done this, it is still the old code)
I left it this way so the program would work for you, and myself. I realize that I would have to use the time2.N pin,. But haven’t got that far yet.
(NB This component is called time2, not time, make sure you are loading the right component)
NB?? What does this mean? Also if I just put the line load time2 in the gui it should show itself in the Hal config and become detectable in the Hal meter correct?? From one of the HAL tutorials it is an exercise with the siggen signal and it does do this. But I cannot get this to work with the time2.

Thanks for you expertise on this guys.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2014 23:21 by rmattioda.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2014 23:28 #43438 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic help with Timer

Cut and paste the whole file and save as time2.comp
OK, this is where the confusion starts for me, Are you opening a Gedit screen and saving the entire file you have provided in the above yellow area and saving the file in the affected directory with the .comp extension?I do understand that you use the load command to get the pin in the HAL directory,..correct? because when I try that it will not show up in the HAL config tree.
Compile with sudo comp --install time2.comp
What does this mean? Are you installing the above file into the Linuxcnc program?

Thanks for you expertise on this guys.

Yes, that is correct create a file named time2.comp with gedit and save it to your home directory.

Next open a terminal and the following command will "build and install" the time2 component.
sudo comp --install time2.comp

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/comp.html...-realtime-components

JT

More
03 Feb 2014 00:04 - 03 Feb 2014 00:04 #43440 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic help with Timer

NB?? What does this mean?

Nota Bene, it's Latin.

Also if I just put the line load time2 in the gui it should show itself in the Hal config and become detectable in the Hal meter correct?? From one of the HAL tutorials it is an exercise with the siggen signal and it does do this. But I cannot get this to work with the time2.

The first thing you must do is build the component and install it. Until you do that you cannot loadrt it because it does not exist.
Because you already had time on your system and the previous thread had instructions for building it, I assumed you were familiar with the process.

Then just comment out the section in your hal file with the old connections for time and cut and paste the new section from the header for time2
Hopefully it will all just work for you then

regards
Last edit: 03 Feb 2014 00:04 by ArcEye.

More
03 Feb 2014 00:07 #43442 by rmattioda
cant get this to install, can you send me the time2.comp file you used?

when you refer to the Home directory are you referring to the one that has all the configs in for the example configs?

More
03 Feb 2014 00:20 #43445 by ArcEye

cant get this to install, can you send me the time2.comp file you used?

Post the errors you get, they will say what is wrong

when you refer to the Home directory are you referring to the one that has all the configs in for the example configs?

Quite honestly it does not matter where you compile the component, but the neatest place to keep it is in the config directory for the config that is using it

More
03 Feb 2014 00:35 #43446 by rmattioda
can you look at the comp file?
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2014 00:43 #43447 by rmattioda
here are the screen shots of my install attempt

the first shot shows where it is placed

the second shows the install attempt

I have a feeling my time2.comp is the issue that's why I wanted you to look at it

thanks
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2014 00:54 #43450 by ArcEye
There are 2 problems

The first is that you did not cut and paste the code I posted, you just cut the bit you thought was important.
The first line is the declaration of the component name, you need to cut and paste everything

sudo: comp --install command does not exist

The second problem is that you do not have linuxcnc-dev installed, thus comp does not exist

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev

Then try again

More
03 Feb 2014 01:17 #43452 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic help with Timer

The first thing you must do is build the component and install it. Until you do that you cannot loadrt it because it does not exist.
Because you already had time on your system and the previous thread had instructions for building it, I assumed you were familiar with the process.

The time comp is included in 2.5.0 and up.

JT

More
03 Feb 2014 02:06 #43457 by rmattioda
is this what I should see after the time2.comp install?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds