python import linuxcnc

More
05 Mar 2016 18:52 #71091 by comjon
From the Python API documentation, it appears "import linuxcnc" works for most people in a .py file if you install LinuxCNC from a LiveCD. I am integrating applications into my Ubuntu build, and added Python before I installed LinuxCNC.

Python can not find LinuxCNC modules (a.k.a. includes, libraries, you get the idea) and I therefore can not code with linuxcnc objects.

I have read a good bit about the "python setup.py install" command and what should be straightforward has become a beast. I need in simple language ideas how to get this module working in my .py file.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2016 14:48 #71224 by comjon
Replied by comjon on topic python import linuxcnc
My plan at this time is: 1) build a fresh LinuxCNC install from the Live CD (I need to do this anyway on a new box, and. I can test whether a fresh install solves what I believe is an issue with dependencies on the box that spawned this thread. Once LinuxCNC is built, I will add Python IDE, then check if LinuxCNC is available as a module in Python by calling with "import linuxcnc ". If all goes well I can install the NINJA IDE.

More
14 Mar 2016 09:40 #71615 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic python import linuxcnc
@comjon

it does not matter if you install linuxcnc before or after python.
If import linuxcnc throws an error, than it is not included in your PYTHON_PATH

Where is the module installed?
And to what locations point your pythonpath?

Norbert

More
15 Mar 2016 12:12 - 15 Mar 2016 12:23 #71677 by comjon
Under "Project Properties" I added ~/git/LinuxCNC/
to the Custom Pythonpath dialogue.

This directory is the one from which I launch LinuxCNC in Terminal.

I am not certain of the name of the module I should add, is it LinuxCNC.py? The documentation is sketchy on this.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2016 12:23 by comjon.

More
15 Mar 2016 16:52 #71686 by comjon
I bailed on NINJA-IDE for now. Eclipse is easier to use and once I got the PyDev add-ins, everything fell into place.

Thanks for the reply Norbert. You can read my other posts to learn what I am trying to accomplish on a Sherline / /LinuxCNC / MTConnect project.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds