Spindle RPM - Filter not working with encoder and 7i76

More
04 Jan 2020 22:19 #154034 by mooser
Doing a lathe conversion and only today realized there's no RPM readout in AXIS (not sure why that wouldn't be a standard kind of thing)

Anyway, found the pyVCP and read through the basics, copied the samples and create a bar-graph for my spindle RPM

Except it's not working

I've got a quad encoder hooked to TB3 and it's giving signals back (no index just quad) but when I look at the HAL meter for spindle-rpm-filtered there is no feedback at all (just spinning the encoder by hand)

If I change the meter to look at spindle-vel-fb-rps I get a result from the encoder (+/- both directions) as well as using spindle-revs (just a counter for location but shows the encoder is working)

Maybe the "filter" set too high and it can't see that I'm spinning the encoder but I can't find a filter value anywhere that looks related

Thanks
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2020 23:28 #154047 by mooser
Update
Using the routine from PNCconf to add the RPM display I now get a value showing on the screen. I'm still trying to see what it changed and how it's different from what I did following the instructions on the pyVCP site but it's at least giving me something. Not the right thing and it's bouncing around quite a bit but at least it's a starting point

M

More
08 Jan 2020 22:21 #154355 by andypugh

Doing a lathe conversion and only today realized there's no RPM readout in AXIS (not sure why that wouldn't be a standard kind of thing)

Because it doesn't matter? It will either be what you commanded in the G-code, or vary with the CSS value.

What would you do differently if you could see the number?

More
08 Jan 2020 23:34 #154359 by mooser
LOL
Well for my poor old brain it's the indicator that I didn't punch in the correct speed in the first place :)

Almost embarrassing to tell you how many times I've been cutting away and look at the cut and go "that seems awfully slow/fast" and then check the rpm and go "oh, because it is slow/fast and I didn't change the speed in the program when I did whatever change"
M

More
08 Jan 2020 23:46 #154361 by andypugh
That's sort-of my point. The speed doesn't matter. it's too-fast / too-slow that matters.

More
08 Jan 2020 23:54 #154362 by mooser
It's only me that's slow :)

Here's what I picture happening to me. Just when I think I'm having a good day in the shop (hobby butcher remember)
It's running at 700 rpm for whatever dumb reason I have, I see it as too slow but I think I had it set at 1000 so I decide to bump it up to 1300...
Anyway I added the indicator (pyVCP widget) and although I haven't gotten to the actual turning on of the spindle yet (re the other thread on encoders and gear changes your helping me with) I'm hoping next weekend I should be able to connect the new control board on the desk here to the machine in the garage and get movement again
Thanks again
M

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds