pyVCP button to control generic digital out

More
21 Jan 2021 21:43 #196150 by oddwick
Just curious if this is even possible. I have searched the forum and to be honest i am not really sure what to search for. what i am trying to do is create a pyvcp button to toggle a digital output. specifically with a mesa 7i96 using one of the general outputs to turn on and off an extraction fan. i can do it using an M code, but i would really like to do it with a button and toggle if possible. any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2021 22:28 #196160 by tommylight
It should be,
www.anderswallin.net/tag/pyvcp/
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gui/pyvcp.html
First link, second example should do what you need, or checkbutton on the second link, but the latter is very small.

More
22 Jan 2021 03:31 - 22 Jan 2021 03:32 #196177 by Todd Zuercher
Yes it very much is possible. It's even possible to have both a custom m-code and a vcp button. In fact it can make it easier. If you set up an m-code, you can trigger it with a halui mdi command with the vcp button.

Without the M-code you have to use either a hal toggle component, or a toggle button in your vcp.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 03:32 by Todd Zuercher.

More
22 Jan 2021 19:40 #196265 by oddwick
hey thanks tommy, i got that far, i have some buttons that turn on the pump and flood, and that works pretty well. and that example is pretty much what i had going, but where i got lost there seems to be no attributes that i can set for motion.digital-out-NN. like with mist, there is halui.mist.on/halui.mist.off etc. that i can manipulate. how do i do that with digital-out?

Without the M-code you have to use either a hal toggle component, or a toggle button in your vcp.

is it better to use the m-code? that is what i use (o subs anyway) to do generic canned operations like parking head, probe touch off. but how would i actually toggle it or would the m code toggle it when its called? if i used a mdi command, can it process logic or access machine variables?

More
22 Jan 2021 20:23 - 22 Jan 2021 20:26 #196270 by chris@cnc
Hi,
not sure what do you want do with motion but i think you want enter some straight postion or switch on or off somthing.
I do also some off this and here my exmaple.
First button is for touching tool. I use a old style dial indicator and touch always 100mm top of the surface.
Second is for laser switch on and after find X and Y i set position. In my case not zero mounted.
And "Parkpositon" is drive to front or rearside.

Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 20:26 by chris@cnc.

More
22 Jan 2021 21:00 #196275 by Todd Zuercher
A custom M-code can be pretty much any executable file, but is usually a Bash or Python script. In it's simplest form it may be just a bash script that executes a halrun command to setp the value of a hal input pin. The hal pin will then hold that value until it is changed by something else. (You have to remember though, you can't setp a hal input pin if it is already connected to an output.)

What might be the best approach will depend on the complexity of what you're trying to accomplish.

Unfortunately custom m-codes can't contain g-code, so o-sub logic and machine parameter variables aren't available. But you can do that by remapping an m-code.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Jan 2021 21:08 #196278 by rodw
Its not often done, but it is possible to maintain a separate pin inside your screen handler that is set by a screen control or by analog or digital input. Its a long time since I've done it but it does work.

More
07 Feb 2021 16:13 #197926 by oddwick
so for what i am trying to do, that is a bit of overkill. basically i just need to hit button on screen and toggle one of the digital outputs on a 7i96. i would think that it would have been simpler than that. i can do it with the mist and flood, but i have two more that need to do the same thing to...

Now, when you say m code can be any executable, that really peaks my interest for other things. BUT, (there's always a but) you say that one cant pass machine parameters to it unless you remap it. could you elaborate?

More
07 Feb 2021 20:30 #197950 by rodw
This very old example with help from islander261 is extracted from a python screen handler file for Gmocappy
In this case an analog input is connected to a pin called command-from-file in the handler
Different numeric ranges sent by M67/M68 override the screen controls
So in your case you could connect the screen button to your fan and set it from gcode as well...

Warning: Spoiler!

More
09 Feb 2021 00:26 #198105 by andypugh
If you just want to link an onscreen button to a physical IO pin it is just a case of making the control in a PyVCP panel and (in HAL) connecting the pyvcp pin to the io pin.

It would be as simple as

net this-pin pyvcp.button -> hm2_7i96.0.gpio.000.out

Or similar.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds