HAL Power Laser

More
29 Jul 2012 02:03 #22572 by diegoroman17
HAL Power Laser was created by diegoroman17
Hi,
I have linuxcnc installed in a laser machine. I am developing a plugin to CorelDraw that permit configure the power min and power max of cut for each color in the drawing. I am using the algorithm of post processor for EMC2 to create the GCode file. With respect to Power Laser I not have a decision yet. I have think create a file with power mins and power max of each layer and give this information to hal for interpolate the power with the velocity Eg. if velocity is 0 -> P is Pmin if velocity is max -> P is Pmax. It is my idea but I dont know if this is possible in HAL. I dont know if is possible read other files of power laser with HAL. I dont know if is possible write any flag in the GCODE for indicate to HAL that read the next line of power laser file. I dont know if can exist a better option for my purpose. Please help me.

I actually control the power laser with Spindle commands with PWM output.
XY axis is with stepper motors.
Z axis dont move.

Dont exist any feedback (encoders,resolvers,etc).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2012 10:47 #22582 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:HAL Power Laser
i presume this is for laser etching , rather than for cutting purposes ..
it's usual to use the spindle speed command to control the pwm to control a laser power output .

perhaps altering the feedrate velocity ,combined with as you suggest the spindle pwm level may work as you suggest .
the problem you may find is that gcode is read one line at a time , and therfore previous settings , may or may not be held

i'd be interested to know the outcome also

More
31 Jul 2012 12:13 #22628 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:HAL Power Laser
diegoroman17 wrote:

hal for interpolate the power with the velocity.

There is some information on a scheme (Graster) to do this here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Rastering_With_A_Laser
But it doesn't seem very elegant to me.

I made a start on a HAL component that imported bitmap files directly, but didn't get very far with it.

More
31 Jul 2012 23:52 #22647 by diegoroman17
Replied by diegoroman17 on topic Re:HAL Power Laser

There is some information on a scheme (Graster) to do this here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Rastering_With_A_Laser

This info is very interesting. I am checking the code but this HAL don't interpolate the PWM output spindle. It can do that exist differences of engraver in the zones of acceleration and desceleration its because the laser is held longer in these areas until the desired velocity. However this code can serve as a basis for something more elaborate

More
01 Aug 2012 00:11 #22648 by diegoroman17

perhaps altering the feedrate velocity ,combined with as you suggest the spindle pwm level may work as you suggest .

Is not necessary altering the feedrate velocity. I plan obtain the actual velocity in hal with sqrt(dx^2+dy^2). With stream component in HAL read the power laser file and with this information interpolate the PWM to control the spindle (power laser).

More
01 Aug 2012 22:31 #22658 by diegoroman17
Andy I saw a post between Zig and you in:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/russian/compo...9386&limit=6&start=6

and it give me any ideas.

It is possible generate G code to make straight lines (G0 and G1 combination) and combine its with M64/M65 for enable or disable laser(my source power laser have a Enable Pin) along the line. I think that it is possible because LinuxCNC have lookahead. At the begin I should set power of laser with S command. The period of acceleration and deceleration can be compensated with extra space in the axis of move. Its avoid that laser burn more this zones.

I think that with this idea is possible have a better solution. Its avoid to have that create a new hal component and read external mask file.

More
01 Aug 2012 22:37 #22659 by andypugh
diegoroman17 wrote:

It is possible generate G code to make straight lines (G0 and G1 combination)

Its avoid to have that create a new hal component and read external mask file.

Would you be interested in helping develop an idea I have for a HAL component that loads image files and laser-rasters them? All without G-code or Axis or the rest of LinuxCNC?

More
01 Aug 2012 22:58 #22661 by diegoroman17

Would you be interested in helping develop an idea I have for a HAL component that loads image files and laser-rasters them? All without G-code or Axis or the rest of LinuxCNC?

Sure. I am disposed to help in anything that I can contribute.

I have that can the same idea but with CorelDraw evaluating the vector information and generate G-code for raster. it is a part for my thesis.

More
08 Aug 2012 00:36 - 07 Jan 2016 11:05 #22961 by andypugh
diegoroman17 wrote:

Sure. I am disposed to help in anything that I can contribute..

Well, I have run out of time on this (I spend most of the next month abroad away from my LinuxCNC machines) so here is a taster of what there is so far (not a lot, to be honest)

If you extract the attached file into the configs directory and then navigate into the directory in a terminal window and
halrun -I -f laser.hal
Then it will load up the UI, realtime component and halscope.

Then, if you set the halscope going and
setp laser_rt.start 1
at the command prompt you ought to be able to see the x and y command positions changing to generate a raster.

What isn't there yet:
A button to start
The stepgens in the HAL file (easy to add). It actually ought to be capable of generating a raster if connected to hardware.
homing
jogging
scaling
(The big one) any link to the actual image data. The GUI will load a file though, and does put it in to shared memory, and the realtime component can see it.

I will get back to it when I am back at home. Feel free to ignore it, or develop it, as you prefer. I was hoping to provide something a little more useful.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 11:05 by andypugh.

More
07 Jan 2016 02:52 - 07 Jan 2016 02:54 #68005 by wl888
Replied by wl888 on topic Re:HAL Power Laser
oops..wrong thread.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 02:54 by wl888.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds