HAL -> Arduino Breakout

More
05 Mar 2013 02:09 #30870 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic HAL -> Arduino Breakout

I don't doubt the speed interface advantages of a card slot interface.

Just to clarify, "realtime" isn't about speed (USB2 is far faster than a parallel port) it is about getting the data from the bus exactly when you want it. This is something that USB makes impossible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2013 20:58 #30914 by andypugh
I have started looking into this. What is needed is a way to connect Linux "Input Devices" via HAL GPIO as well as via USB / PS2.

I think that it is possible in principle and I am going to have a fiddle. This would allow you to use some keys of a keyboard/keypad for text entry and some as control keys / switches.

More
05 Mar 2013 21:14 #30915 by dewy721
Replied by dewy721 on topic HAL -> Arduino Breakout
That would make life on my end easier. :)

While your at it, feel like expressing the concept via an AVR firmware? (Show us scrap-botters how it could be done better?)

Right now, I'm relegated to a horrendously large python script as the back end for mangling the data stream into an AVR friendly format. (Threaded/Queues/Multiple-sockets,Oh My!)

For your giggling pleasure, I attached the script I'm trying (in vain) to lean up.

More
13 Jul 2017 00:03 #95744 by danilom
Replied by danilom on topic HAL -> Arduino Breakout

I have started looking into this. What is needed is a way to connect Linux "Input Devices" via HAL GPIO as well as via USB / PS2.

I think that it is possible in principle and I am going to have a fiddle. This would allow you to use some keys of a keyboard/keypad for text entry and some as control keys / switches.

Has anyone achieved this, was there a development of such component?
I am looking to connect 7i73 to a matrix keyboard which has letters along with command buttons.

More
13 Jul 2017 12:56 #95754 by andypugh
This thread was a long time ago. I did actually make a version of the matrix_keyboard component that could be configured to send keypress events to the system, but I could not be sure that the system calls were thread-safe so I removed that facility.

More
09 Dec 2020 14:03 #191498 by porshe
Replied by porshe on topic HAL -> Arduino Breakout
Is there a way to connect laptop keyboard keys with hal pins to simulate pressing external buttons through mesa card pins?

More
09 Dec 2020 14:24 #191499 by andypugh

Is there a way to connect laptop keyboard keys with hal pins to simulate pressing external buttons through mesa card pins?

How do you want to connect the laptop keyboard to the rest of the system?

More
09 Dec 2020 16:25 #191503 by porshe
Sorry I probably asked the wrong question. Pathpilot has many functions that are linked to a particular key or keyboard shortcut. I have an external remote built on hidcomp that generates Hal pins to which I want to bind keyboard keys.

More
11 Dec 2020 14:05 #191665 by andypugh
You can _probably_ get most of the same behaviours using halui pins, and maybe some halcmd macros.

It is possible to emit key-presses, but it isn't quite so easy to send them to the right place.
stackoverflow.com/questions/2575528/simu...ing-python-for-linux

More
12 Dec 2020 09:53 #191719 by porshe
Thanks for the answer. I will try.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds