Mesa 5i20 + 7i29, possible values axis calibration

More
30 Apr 2013 07:33 - 30 Apr 2013 07:36 #33421 by greenbuggy
I _Finally_ have most of my mills electronics together.

WTM D28 Atom board, 1.8 Ghz 2gb ram
Mesa 5i20 FPGA + 2* 7i29 servo drives
Avago HEDS encoders 500 CPR --> CUI 103E line drivers-->7i29 differential encoder inputs
All this running mostly original motors on a Lagun FTV-3 mill. Since I'm running 7i29 motor drives they're fed with PWM by the 5i20, which I've configured with PNCConf

I have verified encoders are feeding back properly and my drives work, I'm trying to get everything tuned properly now.

I'm curious what the possible range of values is there for the servo axis configuration menu? What range of values are possible to enter for:
P
I
D
Bias
FF0
FF1
FF2
Deadband
Max_output
Output_Scale
Encoder_Scale

I understand what P,I,D and Encoder_Scale mean but I'm new to all other values and haven't found a good explanation for what the others mean. I know that FF stands for Feed Forward but I don't know what that means or what the 0, 1, 2 following it means either.

I've tuned PID before but it was on Gecko/Rutex drives and these additional parameters have me a bit lost. I just don't want to be having a harder time tuning or not tuning as thoroughly as I should be.

Is there an easier way than going back thru the PNCConf prompts to change the following error trip limits? I've gone back thru once and changed them to an inch but I'm wondering if/how to change them back in LinuxCNC when I've got all axis' tuned and need to drop it back to a more reasonable amount.

Also, what are people using to force the motors to move so they can use HALScope to watch the feedback channels from the encoder, PID_Error, CMD_Pos etc? Are they just using a G command to rapid or am I missing something easier?

Thanks for the help
Last edit: 30 Apr 2013 07:36 by greenbuggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2013 09:51 #33423 by PCW
Output_scale is probably (depends on HAL file) the number used to set full scale PWM output, that is if output scale is set to 100, the PID output needs to be 100 (or -100) to get full voltage out on the 7I29. On a voltage mode drive, its sensible to set this to the axis machine units per second (velocity) at maximum voltage

Max_output is probably (again depends on the HAL file) the PID components maximum output (this should be set for about 95% of the Output _scale value so that the 7I29 is never driven by a DC PWM signal)

For a position loop, FF1 is velocity feed forward (a fair amount of FF1 will be needed to compensate for the motors Back-EMF when using a voltage mode drive like the 7I29) That is, when moving at a constant speed, the PID component should provide the proper voltage to the motor to move at the requested velocity _before_ any feedback is applied

For a position loop, FF2 is acceleration feed forward and can add enough force during acceleration to counteract the effect of inertia.

Simplest way to move is probably just jogging
The following user(s) said Thank You: greenbuggy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds