halui feed and spindle overrides behave differentl

More
02 May 2013 04:17 #33506 by dcloud
When using the ...direct-value=1 option and writing to ...count feed override can be set to 1.2 (120%) but spindle override is clamped at 1.0 (100%). Even stranger, the count apparently "winds up" to 120% and must be "unwound" before the override begins to decrease. This behavior is also observed using the the count_up / count_down pins (at least the 100% maximum, I didn't fully test for windup).

The AXIS GUI is able to write 120% spindle override, so I suspect the bug is in halui itself. I don't have the sources (yet) to investigate further.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2013 12:01 #33510 by cmorley
This is not really a bug.

First the upper limits of feed and spindle override can be set for axis in the INI file.
second halui and AXIS do not directly communicate between each other.
You are using two methods of controlling the overrides, each one thinks it's the only controller.

so either set AXIS override limits higher or lower the override limits of HALUI so they match.

Chris M

More
02 May 2013 23:06 #33533 by andypugh

When using the ...direct-value=1 option and writing to ...count feed override can be set to 1.2 (120%) but spindle override is clamped at 1.0 (100%). Even stranger, the count apparently "winds up" to 120% and must be "unwound" before the override begins to decrease. This behavior is also observed using the the count_up / count_down pins (at least the 100% maximum, I didn't fully test for windup).

This is partly a problem with "direct-value". It is much better to just use the counts input if the input device is a quadrature counter like an encoder.
The fact of the matter is that if you look at the value you are sending to the direct-value pin, then it needs to be "unwound" before it can be in-range.

More
03 May 2013 00:39 #33540 by dcloud
My values to FOVR and SOVR are clamped in ClassicLadder, so windup should not be a problem. I'm using panel encoders that have a momentary pushbutton switch built in that I use for an immediate 100% value. It all works well except for the behavior of SOVR -- I'll review the .ini (and stepconf settings that created it).

Thanks, Dave

More
04 May 2013 12:59 #33598 by cmorley
can you post your HAL and INI file please.

More
07 May 2013 08:59 - 07 May 2013 10:36 #33696 by dcloud
Well, OK, you asked for them... :P
(I'll be happy to discuss the details of this project if you are still interested).
StepConf writes 'MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE = 1.2' to the .ini file but not 'MAX_SPINDLE_OVERRIDE = 1.2'. That change fixes my complaint.
I have been trying to keep the .hal and .ini files "pure" (created by the Wizard) and making my changes in "custom.hal", but I am now forced to edit ".ini". Oh, well. REAL men don't trust Wizards...

- Dave (writing CNC controller code since 1979)
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2013 10:36 by dcloud.

More
07 May 2013 19:46 #33715 by BigJohnT
Once you get past the initial configuration it is best to forget the stepconf wizard and start learning what is in your configuration files. The stepconf wizard is just a basic configuring tool to get you up and running fast.

John

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds