X-axis randomly latching to other MPG axis

More
30 Jun 2014 10:30 #48328 by greenbuggy
I need help, before I kill something...

I've scrapped 2 parts out recently and shattered an end mill. At what appear to be completely random intervals my X-axis will latch onto whatever axis is moving and move by the same amount. As you can imagine this doesn't do an end mill any good when you're buried 3/8" deep in a piece of steel.

Odd part is, this is only happening when I use the MPG to move an axis that is *not* the X-axis, it doesn't happen if I use the buttons on the AXIS interface. I've opened up the HAL monitor and can clearly see that the pin for the X-axis MPG selector switch is not switched on. And it goes away if I reboot, but then comes back at random. So I don't think that this is a wiring issue.

The only thing that has changed recently is the addition of a SPINX1 and VFD to control spindle speed, but it operated fine for about a month with those two installed and working without doing this.

Any ideas what is going on? I've attached my machine's files.

Also, how do you keep the update manager from popping up and causing a realtime delay? It hasn't caused a scrapped part or broken tool yet but I think it could and would rather it not.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2014 11:15 #48329 by greenbuggy
I should add, this happens regardless of whether or not the VFD/spindle is running, and has happened before I've even turned the VFD on.

More
30 Jun 2014 15:54 - 30 Jun 2014 16:00 #48332 by cncbasher
you are picking up noise from the VFD and other parts , have you fitted a filter to the vfd ? , are your low voltage wires i.e switches in sheilded cables
all this will help , this is quite a common problem , try also to keep mains and VFD wires seperated from low voltage ones

check for any loose wires or broken ones , and that all connections are tight and sound
yes it could be a software issue , but if you have not updated any files lately , i would discount that
and look more along the lines of an intermittent connector or cable
Last edit: 30 Jun 2014 16:00 by cncbasher.

More
30 Jun 2014 19:35 #48338 by andypugh

At what appear to be completely random intervals my X-axis will latch onto whatever axis is moving and move by the same amount.

Is this in "auto" mode, ie running G-code, or when jogging with the MPG?

More
01 Jul 2014 00:07 #48345 by greenbuggy

At what appear to be completely random intervals my X-axis will latch onto whatever axis is moving and move by the same amount.

Is this in "auto" mode, ie running G-code, or when jogging with the MPG?

Its only happened while jogging with the MPG, with or without the VFD/Spindle running

More
01 Jul 2014 00:11 #48346 by andypugh

Its only happened while jogging with the MPG, with or without the VFD/Spindle running

Do you have a hardware switch to select the active axis for jogging?

If so, are the un-selected inputs grounded or left floating?

More
01 Jul 2014 10:44 - 01 Jul 2014 10:47 #48355 by greenbuggy

Do you have a hardware switch to select the active axis for jogging?

If so, are the un-selected inputs grounded or left floating?

The un-selected inputs are left floating but go thru an optoisolator (CNC4PC C22) before making it to the parallel port. In the HAL Monitor I'm not seeing any axis selection pins turned on besides the one I'm trying to move (Y or Z the couple of times this has happened)
Last edit: 01 Jul 2014 10:47 by greenbuggy.

More
01 Jul 2014 16:04 #48360 by andypugh

The un-selected inputs are left floating but go thru an optoisolator (CNC4PC C22) before making it to the parallel port.

Is the problem repeatable enough that disconnecting the HAL links for the axis select pin would be a useful experiment? If the HAL net is not there then that should definitively say if the problem is hardware or software.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds