user permission

More
20 Apr 2015 15:58 #57926 by bkt
user permission was created by bkt
I don't try at all .... ask to expert people's .... is possible set only read permission to my mill folder (for example). these for prevent accidentally over writing to INI hal and XML file.
(probably these is not possible for .var file)

in half file I use pyvcp and other comp.
Can I have some problem with these set of permission?

can I set an other user login that use my-mill (for example) whit limitation in writing on INI hal and NGC file?

thanks for any suggest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2015 18:11 #57931 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic user permission
Hi

You will need to experiment a little, but should be no reason why not.

Some files will need to be rw, (.var .tbl position.txt etc) so you cannot just set the whole directory to ro

I would expect the files in your config folder to be 644, ie rw by owner (and processes initiated by the owner) and ro to everyone else.

If you set your .ini file and all your .hal files to 444 (ro by all) the config will work quite happily.

Just remember that user M1xx files must be executable etc.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
25 Dec 2016 14:29 #84682 by kagouraki
Replied by kagouraki on topic user permission
I have another problem. I have 2 users in the pc. The one is admin and has full access and is the owner to the files in the config folder. the other is standard user and i want him to read only the config. so i have added him in the primary group of the owner and chmod 664 the files var, var.bak , possitions.txt. So everything is ok BUT if the positions file or the var file is altered while using linuxcnc, for example change position of the machine and change offsets of G54 the permissions of the var , var.bak , possitions.txt revert back to 644.
So the conclusion is that linuxcnc when writes these files applies 644 permissions. I want to change that. how is this possible ?

More
26 Dec 2016 06:36 #84696 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic user permission
I suspect you are looking for the "umask" setting.

More
26 Dec 2016 21:32 #84717 by kagouraki
Replied by kagouraki on topic user permission

I suspect you are looking for the "umask" setting.

Thank you very much ! I have learned about a new linux command i didnt knew!

I have found the solution for my problem. I had not write permissions to the folder containing the files. I have read that if you alter a file in a folder you can alter the folders structure so you must have write permissions to the folder.

Giorgos

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds