Gantry Control using Ethercat and Delta ASDA-A2 Servo Amps

More
05 Aug 2017 01:50 #97016 by sqmathlete
Hi All,

I am trying to setup a large gantry XXYZ using Delta Servo Amps and LinuxCNC Ethercat Hal, and completely new to CanOpen/Ethercat stuff. Currently, I am at the point of trying to set the digital input pin parameters to deltas recommended setup for gantry control. However there are some slight nuances. For example Beckhoff Twincat2 mapped the quickstop pin to pin 4 instead of the usual pin 8 since the delta asda-a2 ethercat amps only have 7 DI available on a 26 pin connector. 50 is the norm

After setting the pin parameters manually on the servo amp, I restart the amp, then open Twincat to see the updated configuration. Being new to twincat I only did this a couple of times then stopped as it not recommended due the memory being eprom? and has a limited number of times that it can be rewritten. Figured out that you only need switch to run mode and only update once you are sure of your configuration?

So basically my question is this,
Once, I have set the parameters on the servo amp, how do I or do I need to alter the PDO mapping in twincat before I create my .xml file for linuxcnc? and is 1ms appropriate for the clock cycle?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Dan
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2017 02:13 #97017 by sqmathlete
Correction, Twincat out put says
Drive status 4 (automatically linked):
0x01 (0000 0001) = IO data invalid
0x02 (0000 0010) = IO data input toggle

Drive status 4 (manually linked):
0x08 (1000 0000) = Fast axis Stop (digital IO interupt)

This is concerning since DI8 is not listed in the ethercat manual or available as a pin on the CN-1 26 pin connector

More
30 Jan 2021 21:59 #197180 by medicusdkfz
Hi,

is the gantry sync for both x axis running LCNC? Could you help me, to setup my LCNC. I have two Y axis with individual reference switches.

Thank you for your help,
Pierre

More
17 Feb 2021 22:25 #199189 by sqmathlete
Hi,

I started this thread in 2017, sold the router shortly there after. Ended up using the amps on a cnc lathe.

In my opinion, if you are going to run the servo amps in velocity mode, like the ethercat example files, then setting up a gantry should be similar to other linuxcnc gantry configurations with the additional .xml file for the ethercat stuff.

If you want to run in CSP mode, that will be more challenging, I think homing will be an issue. Any chance you are running Delta ASDA-A3 amplifiers? They are new and I think that they have a gantry feature.

Also, there is a lot of good info over on the ethercat hal driver thread. 100+ pages or so. Might want to start there if you haven't already.

Kind regards,
Dan

More
18 Feb 2021 08:10 #199223 by chris@cnc

Hi,is the gantry sync for both x axis running LCNC? Could you help me, to setup my LCNC. I have two Y axis with individual reference switches.Thank you for your help,Pierre

Hi Pierre,
For the A2 driver I bought a cable for the 50 pin plug. you can connect it directly to the NC. Serial is a bit easier than ethercat ...
CN1 control ASD-CNSC0050 is the spare part number. You can find the settings for homing here linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-homing.html

More
21 Feb 2022 07:49 - 21 Feb 2022 07:50 #235446 by medicusdkfz
Hi Chris,

to make a long story short: I'm now at the configuration point of my LinuxCNC project with the A2 servos. Sorry for the long delay. What is NC? And did you solved the gantry synchronization with XYY at your system? You can also email me: pierre(et)branitzki(point)de if it's easier for you. I'm a German guy...

Best regards,
Pierre
Last edit: 21 Feb 2022 07:50 by medicusdkfz.

Time to create page: 0.376 seconds