Help in understanding Hal -d setting to VFD

More
13 Jun 2018 19:33 #112316 by andypugh
if "device=" worked before then I am puzzled why it stopped working.

One possibility is that something (like a windows editor) has introduced invisible wierd characters into the loadusr line.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2018 20:32 #112322 by javelin
Just an update on where things stand so at some point someone here who has this hardware can see the trail I left.

I followed the above link to go into linux and then create a symlink within linux itself, not linuxcnc. The path for the file would be /ect/udev/rules.d/filenamehere. Within that created file I made the following line creates the symlink for my usb on my machine:

KERNELS=="1-3", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", SYMLINK+="ttyS0", MODE="0660"

I verified this symlink code would work by creating a test usb port which it would create with no issues. I then used the above line to link /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyS0 .

I rebooted everything and then fired up linuxcnc. Once the software started I then went to start the spindle and nothing happened. For some reason this still is not working.

Aside from the settings within the vfd I even went as far as using stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 9600 and then also editing my hal file loadusr line to accept the device="/dev/ttyUSB0" in hopes that it was simply a failure in communication there but still no start on the spindle.

I will begin to prepare to wire this thing in through TB4 on the 7i76. I have about exhausted the limits of my abilities on this one. If anyone out there is using the Hitachi WJ200 with a rs485 feel free to give a shout to me so I can see what you have done.

Thanks for all the help Andy, it was worth the go. I may revisit this later. If I do and find any success I will let you guys know.

More
13 Jun 2018 20:34 #112323 by javelin

if "device=" worked before then I am puzzled why it stopped working.

One possibility is that something (like a windows editor) has introduced invisible wierd characters into the loadusr line.

Running Linux Mint nothing windows related on my end or do you mean on the end where this was compiled?

More
14 Jun 2018 16:05 #112359 by andypugh
Is it worth seeing if you have more than one version of the module on your PC?

(It might even be worth re-compiling the module)

More
18 Jun 2018 23:01 #112561 by javelin
Sorry Ive been out of town for a few days.

Only one module yet I may try to recompile it at some point. That would take some serious effort as it is a bit outside of my scope of knowledge at the moment. Im game for trying it though.

Right now I am sorting out hooking it up through TB4. If I determine I do not like this method I may do exactly as you said. Yet for the moment I want the machine running to get me to the next stage.

If I need to I will buy another Huanyang as I really like the modbus configuration then figure out the recompile for the wj200. I really would love the wj200 on modbus so that is the goal in the end no matter what. For me its not a waste of money to have a cheaper backup as I always want backups on hand. I am that way with everything, especially electronics. I fly FPV acro drones, let me tell you it really sucks to not have the parts on hand after a crash LOL!

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds