LinuxCNC generated resolver output

More
24 Oct 2018 20:13 #119355 by lamandesigns
Hi everyone,

I have an odd request that I need help with. I have a spindle motor drive here which only takes in resolver input in addition to a home/orient. The home/orient is not an issue. However my spindle motor has an encoder on it and currently LinuxCNC reads it just fine. I would like to switch my current VFD to this spindle drive. Is it possible to use HAL to generate the 3 analog pairs required for resolver based on the encoder input?

Thanks,
Omid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2018 11:24 #119384 by andypugh
You only need two analogue pairs. (the third pair is the excitation).

But therein lies the problem, it is likely that the drive samples the output somehow synched to the excitation. If it samples at the peak then that's all fine, but it might not.

What hardware are you using?

The bldc HAL component can be coerced into producing sine/cosine outputs at 120 degrees to each other. This might or might not work with the resolver inputs.

Alternatively a simple custom HAL component can calculate the two 90-degree phases.

The simple answer, though, would be to add a resolver to the motor. Does the drive output quadrature encoder signals by any chance? Many do.

Do you plan to use rigid-tapping? If not then you could simply remove the encoder.

You can pick up resolvers pretty cheaply on eBay (example: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331998862516 ) though be aware that that might be a 400Hz item and probably isn't brushless. I have one of those in a box marked "£1500 firm price")
The following user(s) said Thank You: lamandesigns

More
25 Oct 2018 15:50 #119395 by lamandesigns
Yes, that is one of the things I am worried about. It is an older Baldor drive (1997), so the manual is now as comprehensive as some of the newer items. The drive does have an index/home input as well. The spindle motor is a fanuc and I have an index pulse on the spindle itself as well. I do rigid tapping with it currently.

As far as the controls, I am running 6i24 with 7i48 and another 5 or 6 different cards through the 6i24 as well as serial.

More
25 Oct 2018 17:53 #119397 by andypugh

As far as the controls, I am running 6i24 with 7i48 and another 5 or 6 different cards through the 6i24 as well as serial.

So, the good news is that you do have analog outputs to generate the simulated signal with, so that's a good start.

And chance of piggy-backing a resolver on the existing encoder?

I think the first thing to do would be to see what the excitation signal is out of the drive. (Frequency and voltage) so you know what you are dealing with.

More
26 Oct 2018 15:43 #119455 by lamandesigns
I think I am going to look at mounting a resolver on that shaft somehow. The big issue is that the shaft is 38mm (might be 35, I have forgotten)! So I will need to make some sort of an adapter to change that to whatever resolver size I get. What do you recommend as far as a resolver?

More
26 Oct 2018 16:55 #119464 by andypugh
There are some resolvers with a large through-hole: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1628502898

But it might be more expedient to mount a 1:1 belt drive:
This is the one I mounted for my lathe spindle: photos.app.goo.gl/89usAYUfWn9bkWp38

Tamagawa seem to have pretty much cornered the market. Muirhead / Vactric used to make them for the aerospace market, but those tend to work less well in CNC applications.
You need to know if the drive is expecting a single-turn or multi-turn resolver. Often a 4-pole motor will have a two-cycles per rev resolver, and so on.
(You can achieve that with a single-turn resolver and gearing if you use the belt-drive approach).

Be careful on eBay, quite a lot of people seem to think that it is reasonable to try to sell the outer part of a built-in resolver without the inner rotor.

More
26 Oct 2018 17:01 #119466 by lamandesigns
Thank you again! The option of using a belt-drive is pretty much not there. In addition any resolver which is self-contained tend to have a fairly low RPM range, so 1:1 at 10,000 rpm will most likely not happen.

I have looked at the Tamagawa and they do have the BRX series with a 38mm shaft mount which would make this all fairly easy. I believe I will go with that. I will make sure that I will ask the person if everything is included in the picture haha!

More
26 Oct 2018 17:09 #119467 by andypugh
The ones I am talking about are where they have taken the resolver off of the motor and not noticed that they left half of it behind. A number of the BRX ones on eBay have photos where it isn't clear whether the inner spool is present or not.

More
07 Nov 2018 16:43 #120182 by JR1050
Which Fanuc motor do you have ? Most Fanuc Ac motors are permanent magnet, which a standard vfd won't drive very well. Almost all the major drive manufacturers now make drives that support pm motors. The Hitachi WJ series work well and are inexpensive for what they are .

More
08 Nov 2018 03:11 #120231 by lamandesigns
That is precisely why I am putting a proper spindle/servo drive on it rather than just VFD.

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds