Schmitt trigger

More
14 Feb 2019 21:34 #126496 by thadwald
Replied by thadwald on topic Schmitt trigger
Yes, those might work. My “need” is based on what I asked the machine operator what they would like and is also subject to part availability and number of available input pins. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2019 06:22 #126524 by Richard J Kinch
Replied by Richard J Kinch on topic Schmitt trigger

An ideal solution to this would actually be a rotary selector switch with as many switch positions as you want the control to have in the first place.

Well, yes, but that's cheating because you asked how to do it with the analog wiring you already have in place.

If you're going for digital instead, then you have the option for a rotary phase encoder instead of selector. Then you only need two digital inputs for any number of selections instead of log2(selections). You keep and display the state of selection in software, so you can change it anytime without fussing with the physical wiring. You keep the satisfying physical knob, but you do lose the satisfying physical display of the setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thadwald

More
27 Nov 2019 05:14 #151335 by csbrady
Replied by csbrady on topic Schmitt trigger
After dealing with bobble with analog overrides and erratic spindle speed displays I created a hal component to filter, add hysteresis and do rounding. The results are excellent! I set my analog feed override to provide nice crisp 5% increments. Also my spindle speed bounces around making it difficult to read. Now the display shows nice 50 rpm steps. All very stable with no bobble.

If interested the source with a makefile and a hal sample is available at bradyz.com/hyst.tgz
The following user(s) said Thank You: thadwald, roland

More
27 Nov 2019 17:42 #151372 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Schmitt trigger
Do you want to add it to LinuxCNC?

More
27 Nov 2019 17:58 #151374 by csbrady
Yes it I would like to add it to LinuxCNC. I suspect that others would find it helpful.

More
27 Nov 2019 18:07 #151375 by andypugh
Are you able to submit a pull-request on github? (There are other ways, but that way is least likely to get lost). Just adding the .comp file in the src/hal/components directory will be enough, the build system will then compile it automatically. A standalone .comp should be safe for 2.8

More
27 Nov 2019 21:23 #151398 by csbrady
Sorry but I don't know what a pull-request is. Can you give me some guidance?

More
30 Nov 2019 01:50 #151552 by andypugh

Sorry but I don't know what a pull-request is. Can you give me some guidance?

There is a guide here: guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/
Though it isn't 100% relevant to your situation.

You would need to create a githib account, make a fork of linuxCNC, add your file, make a commit and then make a pull request.

If you think that you might get in to the habit of working on LinuxCNC then it is worth doing all that. If this is a one-off then it is probably easier for one of us to add the .comp file by hand. Though I don't think that you get a "credit" for the work that way.

More
26 Jul 2020 15:09 #175908 by roland
Replied by roland on topic Schmitt trigger

After dealing with bobble with analog overrides and erratic spindle speed displays I created a hal component to filter, add hysteresis and do rounding. The results are excellent! I set my analog feed override to provide nice crisp 5% increments. Also my spindle speed bounces around making it difficult to read. Now the display shows nice 50 rpm steps. All very stable with no bobble.

If interested the source with a makefile and a hal sample is available at bradyz.com/hyst.tgz

The hyst component works very well.
I use it for the analog feed pots.

It would be nice if this component could be integrated into linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds