TinkerBoard GPIO SPI ETHERNET hal setup.

More
13 Apr 2019 18:30 #130784 by berin
I'm just getting started on this phase of my project. My ultimate goal is to use the TinkerBoard for a linuxcnc machine. Progress so far I've built multi "full preempt RT" kernels so far. I've gotten linuxcnc built and proven functional, now I'm working on getting the HAL working. I have gotten a number of files from different sources. Hal_GPIO.C . At this point I'm looking for guidance and reasons for how I should setup the tinkerboard. My current goal is to use the GPIO as a direct step/dir and other control logic IO. My runner up will be SPI or Ethernet. I know the tinkerboard is not the most powerful computer out there. But its 2x as powerful as an RPI, 2x the memory. And I have seen working examples online of people using the tinkerboard. My end goal is to be able to offer a working SD image for the tinkerboard that all anyone has to do is download write to an SD and boot the tinker, adjust settings as needed done.
This is the shell that I have built photos.app.goo.gl/GvprVxFfbKAWY7VR7 and other info forum.armbian.com/topic/10007-tinker-boa...-working-free-offer/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2019 08:23 #130831 by pl7i92
Hi there is a german projekt using this system
it is already running at ETH
you may can use all this files

look German Section Arduino Raspberry

you can also use your own component to get it run as you are alredy in RT
just output the halpins to your GPIO
see linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/
linuxcncrsh component

More
26 Apr 2019 04:33 - 26 Apr 2019 04:35 #131922 by berin
programming and software are not something that I'm great at, that's why I'm looking for help. It took a lot of effort for me to get the RT compiled and working and i'm sure there are things that can be done to make it even better I just dont know what for tunning. As to getting the GPIO HAL up and running i'm really not sure how.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2019 04:35 by berin.

More
26 Apr 2019 05:43 - 27 Apr 2019 04:52 #131925 by InMyDarkestHour
Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 04:52 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
27 Apr 2019 01:27 - 27 Apr 2019 01:48 #132041 by berin
I ran one of the latency linuxcnc tests, and I was told the numbers were not bad "talking to people on IRC in room #linuxcnc on the freenode server. And that they could be a lot better with "tuning of the system". That is a stock setup with freshly compiled 4.19 RT kernel and compiling linuxcnc before doing anything else no tuning of any kind yet, Now when I figure it out or get someone to give me a hand on setting up linux so it reserves one of the cores for PURE RT operations it should help a lot as well.
The ethernet is a dedicated full gig ethernet, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Tinker_Board Please check the specs. The tinkerboard CRUSHES a lot of the competition via benchmarks and the "older" non S version is in the $50 range and only lacks an EMMC. The few other differences are 99% meaning less considering the price difference between the non S and S versions of the tinkerboard. So yes I did do my research and found that the tinkerboard for the price range is the best chance for a full machine controller. ACCORDING to this linuxcnc page my results are doing really well. wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Latency-Test

EDIT: forgot to write down my jitter. I average 18,000 to 22,000 max jitter on base thread under stress testing with glxgears running and glmark. And I have not shut down any services or done anything to the system yet to improve it. aside from being an RT kernel setup everything that is installed stock with the current 4.19 release of armbian for the tinkerboard is running.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 01:48 by berin.

More
27 Apr 2019 01:37 - 27 Apr 2019 04:52 #132042 by InMyDarkestHour

More
27 Apr 2019 01:50 #132043 by berin
I'm not a software guy I'm not a programmer I'm a hadware person 99%. I've read about xenomai a little but I know almost nothing about it?

Linux tinkerboard 4.19.34-rt18-rockchip #5.78 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Apr 8 21:07:42 CDT 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux current build.

More
27 Apr 2019 01:59 - 27 Apr 2019 04:52 #132045 by InMyDarkestHour

More
27 Apr 2019 02:21 #132047 by berin
My motor controllers are in a different box. The shell is JUST the control head unit. containing a 7" lcd (shell capable of upto a 10") a TINY tinkerboard that takes up 1/4 of the mountable real estate on the back of the LCD. and almost nothing inside the shell, The photos may make it look a little crowded but there are some parts that I have removed and not updated the photos yet. So if there is an RPI style MESA driver HAT it would have plenty of room. or any of the smaller mesa boards would fit in the shell easy. In my photos there is a picture showing a protoneer RPI-CNC hat. that fit easily. but that HAT does not work with linux cnc being GRBL based. Which I think is stupid not to support. Sure its limited in complexity of math. But there are plenty of cnc machines running on grbl just fine.

More
27 Apr 2019 02:32 - 27 Apr 2019 11:25 #132049 by berin
I dont know what the board size of a 7i75e is there are no references to the boards dimentions in the manual, and after doing a quick google wouldn't touch it with a 10' poll with a price tag of $200USD. I'm not interested in exploring external motion control boards for my self until the tinkerboard proves its self unworthy to do such tasks. The cnc machine I'm building is a 30x30x12" moving gantry mill. I'm not investing in driving a $10k machine. If I was I'd be very interested in ensuring I have the top of the line control system.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 11:25 by berin.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds