An E-stop, hal and an overall how things work series.

More
30 Nov 2019 01:42 #151551 by skunkworks
I am trying to get my butt in gear and get a few Estop 101 videos out. The first one is done (for some definition of 'done')

The following user(s) said Thank You: akb1212, rodw, OT-CNC, Leon82, jackh, Himarc3D, fletch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2019 07:01 #151635 by rodw
Thanks for this skunkworks. I subscribed to Youtube premium just so I could download it to my Chromebook to watch on the plane to China tomorrow!. So just 9 more hours to fill in!

More
30 Jan 2020 16:10 #156185 by AgentWD40
Just found this and haven't had time to watch the whole thing but should we expect a part 2 with safe examples?

More
07 Nov 2020 05:46 #188573 by lrak
There are some more details for this :

estop pins - assuming no pins are yet interconnected:

iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in -- sets the Estop button displayed in Axis - and
from the docs "Should be driven FALSE when an external estop condition exists."
(False is the 'in' position)

iocontrol.0.user-enable-out becomes the OPPOSITE of iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in if you click on the etop-button - Does NOT change the appearance of the GUI estop button.
From the docs "FALSE when an internal estop condition exists" (what defines an estop condition here? Are there other things that can trigger an estop? )

iocontrol.0.user-request-enable iocontrol.0.user-request-enable ( output that 'PULSES' true if you click on estop button in axis AND iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in is false (pulses on pulling-out the GUI estop ) (iocontrol.0.user-request-enable is not completely documented in the man page (2020))

There is a way (by writing a component) to latch iocontrol.0.user-request-enable. That being said - it is an extremely bad idea to use this to enable a physical estop circuit. LinuxCNC should be setup to disable the physical estop - but NOT enable it.,

What I'm still missing and digging for is if Linuxcnc triggers Estop for other reasons.

Also - there are halui pins for estop that refer to "(linuxcnc internal)" -- I don't yet have any clue what they might do or indicate or if they should be connected to the iocontrol estop pins? What does "internal" mean here? From the man page:

estop
halui.estop.activate bit in
pin for setting Estop (LinuxCNC internal) On

halui.estop.is-activated bit out
pin for displaying Estop state (LinuxCNC internal) On/Off

halui.estop.reset bit in
pin for resetting Estop (LinuxCNC internal) Off

As an example - I've attached a physical estop circuit -- linuxcnc can drop the circuit and read it's state.

Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2020 18:52 #190973 by skunkworks
wow - sorry - it has been a year... And this isn't estop related sort of.. It is charge pump and analog output.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, johnmc1, snowgoer540, Himarc3D

More
03 Dec 2020 19:03 #190974 by snowgoer540

wow - sorry - it has been a year... And this isn't estop related sort of.. It is charge pump and analog output.

Watched this last evening, really enjoyed it/learned a few things.

I appreciate your videos, you are good at explaining things, keep up the good work!

More
04 Dec 2020 07:50 #191014 by Himarc3D
Nice! Oscilloscope is the best friend!

snowgoer540 you too have nice videos, i can easily understand you, nice voice.

More
04 Dec 2020 14:58 #191034 by snowgoer540

snowgoer540 you too have nice videos, i can easily understand you, nice voice.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: haha, thanks. Maybe one of these days I'll talk. But I should probably do the thing with the words on the screen, and then move to the computer generated voice over first. :laugh:

Really I usually don't say anything so that when something stupid comes out of my mouth (near regular occurrence), I don't have to start the video over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Dec 2020 01:16 #191088 by skunkworks
I am way past worrying about saying something stupid... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds