andypugh’s nice HAL schematic

More
21 Dec 2019 14:54 - 21 Dec 2019 15:02 #153000 by JC10
Hello,

question for andypugh : what software do you use to produce the nice schematic in the svg file of wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SpindleOrient ?

Thanks
Last edit: 21 Dec 2019 15:02 by JC10.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2019 21:58 #153141 by andypugh
I used Excel. :-/
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC10

More
27 Dec 2019 02:17 #153252 by akb1212
I also wondered about that....

Turns out that is only available in the cloud based (and therefore to me totally unacceptable (I have a paid licence for earlier "proper" version, and absolutely don't like the new "upgrades", and the fact that I have to pay them more for every month I use it)) office 365. Bummer!

I really wanted to share my updated schematic I made, first to update it to include new pins in 2.8 and to get your feedback on if my additions are correct.
And then to help others in the future.

And I do find a good schematic so much easier to work with than text-based files. At least when it comes to signal flow and trace the different signal paths (and I am an electronics engineer, and have grown up with reading schematics.....).

I will have to look in to if it's possible to use open office.

I have to say I do miss Visio now.....

More
27 Dec 2019 05:48 - 27 Dec 2019 05:49 #153254 by JC10
Open office should do the trick.

I use google sheets that is not as good as Excel but you can work on your sheets from any device, I found this handy.

You are electronics engineer, have a look at this : wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Eagle2HAL

And : softsolder.com/2013/02/28/eagle-6-4-sche...-creation-checklist/

and all very good related posts from this guy.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2019 05:49 by JC10.

More
27 Dec 2019 18:31 #153298 by akb1212
Thank you very much! That seems like a way I'd like to configure it.

But..... how about support? The last used versions of LCNC in this project is rather old. And I have only looked at it briefly now and I must say I wonder if this will give me other problems.

First off, I'm sure I need support here. And the only way to get that is to post config files. And I expect good old text-based files are the norm, and also how others would be able to read them too.

So the question is if the config files made by this system is readable. And also if they are compatible with 2.8 and 2.9, with differences in axis/joints. I will have to insist on using these versions as they have features I need.

But I have to admit it's a good idea, if it would be easy to use, and not add another layer of things we have to learn how to use.... there are enough of them already.

And..... Eagle is bought up by Autodesk now. And I don't have a student login. So I guess earlier versions might be a solution here. This is another layer of complication with this approach…..

I will look some more in to this to figure out if this is a way to do it that suits me. And at the same time is easy for others to help me and read my config files.

For now I have tried to make my HAL files look tidy, with consistent ways to write names and having everything that belongs on the same line, and signal going from left to right and such. I expect Eagle-HAL to not be able to do this, and to be more like PNCconf and how config tools like it make configs (I fully understand why it’s like that with those tools! It would be close to impossible to make this happen in a consistent way in a complicated tool like that).

More
27 Dec 2019 22:46 #153328 by andypugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: akb1212, JC10

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds