MPG - HAL Question(s)

More
30 Aug 2020 22:24 #180114 by nf1z
Replied by nf1z on topic MPG - HAL Question(s)
Peter,
Thanks, that did it. I am already at R15, luckily. I was guessing from the name that it might be that parameter, but no clue on the range of values. In the interests of saving your time answering similar questions, is that kind of thing documented anywhere? I have used LinuxCNC for many years, in fact when it was still EMC, but have managed to avoid getting into the gory details for the most part, and had no previous need to delve into the Mesa-specific stuff. I like the 7i76e a lot so far, but it is requiring a bit of thought to make full use of it.

Just in case it is useful, let me record that I also had to make a couple of other changes to the pncconf .hal file. I had to change (e.g.)

net selected-jog-incr => axis.x.jog-scale
net axis-select-x => axis.x.jog-enable
net axis-selected-count => axis.x.jog-counts

to:

net selected-jog-incr => joint.0.jog-scale axis.x.jog-scale
net joint-select-a => joint.0.jog-enable axis.x.jog-enable
net joint-selected-count => joint.0.jog-counts axis.x.jog-counts

I did find that on the web, but it seems a little odd that pncconf generated net statements for joint-select-a (etc.) and then used axis-select-x instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2020 23:08 - 30 Aug 2020 23:14 #180118 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic MPG - HAL Question(s)
It would probably be a good option if pncconf had a checkbox to allow for jog before homing
(what you have implemented by connecting to motions joint and axis jog pins )
Its not desirable in many cases

The 7I76 mpg encoder quadrature modes are:

0 1x forward
1 1x reverse
2 2x forward
3 2x reverse
4 4x forward
5 4x reverse
Last edit: 30 Aug 2020 23:14 by PCW.

More
31 Aug 2020 14:39 #180170 by nf1z
Replied by nf1z on topic MPG - HAL Question(s)
Peter,
Thanks for the info.

I'm new to all this joint/axis stuff. I see the point about jogging before homing, though as a repairer of CNC machines, I can't imagine working on a machine I couldn't manually move at any time, one way or another. Still, probably a good option. Actually, my point was (or should have been) that the pncconf .hal file could not allow MPG jogging at all, because there is no option that I could find in the pull-downs for a signal (?) called axis-select-x, just joint-select-A, though it generates the net statement:

I do like the pncconf options to set things like backlash that are not there in stepconf. Remembering to modify the .ini file was always a pain, so the more stuff in the wizard the better.

More
01 Sep 2020 09:37 #180283 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic MPG - HAL Question(s)

though it generates the net statement:

That statement has no affect, it is just creating a signal you can use if you wish to connect it to another pin.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds