Retrofitting an existing Ethercat machine

More
26 Apr 2020 11:16 #165653 by Niko
Hi all,
as it turns out I'll have the chance to retrofit a brand new 5 axis machine that already uses Ethercat hardware . Thing is it's fitted with power automation components, so that's another thing to have in mind .
I have absolutely no experience with Ethercat on LCNC, and i"d like to get a head start with some reading and researching .
Is it possible to use non Beckhoff equipment ?
How do I go about getting everything in hal ?

Any input is welcome .

Thank you in advance .
Cheers
Nikolai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 12:52 #165657 by bbsr_5a
if you are willing to invest some Money you coudt better change to a Mesa setup
that gives you the full comunity background
or as you are within some base cnc stuff fast respond
with only a view cable changes

if the driver board is one of this list you are quick on the system as it is supported
EtherCatDriver
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?back=EtherCatDriver
100+ pages of info here
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?back=EtherCatDriver

More
26 Apr 2020 13:41 - 26 Apr 2020 13:42 #165663 by Niko
I have thought about switching over to Mesa hardware but that won't be too logical . The drives are with absolute encoders and Ethercat communication and it would be a shame to switch back to analog .
Last edit: 26 Apr 2020 13:42 by Niko.

More
26 Apr 2020 13:45 #165665 by tommylight
There are several users here that use ethercat, so might want to wait for them to reply.
In the mean time, you should provide much more information about the drives, control boards, etc.

More
27 Apr 2020 20:14 - 27 Apr 2020 20:14 #165868 by chimeno
Hi @Niko,

Hi all,
as it turns out I'll have the chance to retrofit a brand new 5 axis machine that already uses Ethercat hardware . Thing is it's fitted with power automation components, so that's another thing to have in mind .
I have absolutely no experience with Ethercat on LCNC, and i"d like to get a head start with some reading and researching .

It seems like a great project, very interesting, if you don't have a lot of knowledge and work is in a hurry, the best thing would be to go to MESA, if you have time and you want to do it all!
Is it possible to use non Beckhoff equipment ?
If possible without problems, the best way to start is with the generic driver included in linuxcnc-ethercat, there are several examples here in the forum.

How do I go about getting everything in hal ?

You have to do a little research on linuxcnc-ethercat, it is not very difficult if you have some knowledge, it is just time and bad head.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 20:14 by chimeno. Reason: Edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds