Teensy 4.1 + LinuxCNC

More
23 Sep 2020 20:30 #183512 by Roiki
Replied by Roiki on topic Teensy 4.1 + LinuxCNC
You could also test its performance over a simple ethernet switch. Its not really recommended but mesa cards can work over them so that would be a nice feature to have in this. The latency certainly has some headroom for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2020 22:26 #183520 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Teensy 4.1 + LinuxCNC

Its not really recommended but mesa cards can work over them so that would be a nice feature to have in this.

That is never to be used on an actual machine. I did use a switch (a very fast one) and it can work for testing only.
Whenever that switch gets a bit of work load, it will end up loosing the connection to Mesa card.
So as a general rule : Never use a switch or hub between the PC and the Mesa Card.

More
20 Dec 2020 09:48 - 20 Dec 2020 09:52 #192512 by Markyd
Replied by Markyd on topic Teensy 4.1 + LinuxCNC
any new on how this is progressing?

I bought one of Teensy 4.1 grblHAL breakout board back in the summer and I'm keen to know if I'll be able to repurpose it to use with linuxcnc.

Last edit: 20 Dec 2020 09:52 by Markyd.

More
20 Dec 2020 11:28 - 20 Dec 2020 11:31 #192516 by jakap
Replied by jakap on topic Teensy 4.1 + LinuxCNC
Thanks for expressing the interest.
I know Phil's board - it is a good layout.
As my code is relying on hardware and I would like to keep the possibilities to read encoders for closed loop control, I don't think my implementation will be pin compatible to Phil's board, but I have to check this in detail in the upcoming weeks.
Anyhow, I plan to design my own board once the pinout is fixed.

At the moment, I am still working on the module for stepper motor.
To avoid interrupts and to keep down the latency I would like to count steps in an efficient way with hardware counters, but I still have some difficulties. I hope this will be ready by Christmas.

In future, I am looking forward to use distributed clock using PTP protocol. Any expert on the topic around here?
Last edit: 20 Dec 2020 11:31 by jakap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markyd

More
19 Jun 2021 01:30 #212376 by m_lewus
Replied by m_lewus on topic Teensy 4.1 + LinuxCNC
Have you made any further progress on this? Is the code available anywhere online?

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds