Python3 / linuxcnc versions / Debian versions Help!

More
03 Sep 2020 21:55 #180592 by chowderhead
I'm attempting to write a python userspace component and would like it work past the end of the year, so plan to use Python3. Not as easy as it would seem.

Running:

Linux proto 4.9.0-13-rt-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.228-1 (2020-07-05) i686 GNU/Linux

I've read:

forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/37697-hal-and-python3

and

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/403

Which leads me to believe the master branch now supports Python3. I apparently don't possess the skill required to build master on this machine as there is no libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev for Stretch, so I cannot meet the build dependencies. I figured I could download 2.9 from the buildbot and magically have the Python3 hal module. Nope. I can't migrate to Buster as there is apparently no i686 support for 2.9.

What to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2020 22:12 #180595 by tommylight
32bit support is being phased out, Linux Mint version 20 has no release for 32bit any more, probably the other distros too.
Is there any particular reason for using the 32bit version?

More
04 Sep 2020 02:12 #180613 by chowderhead
Because I have a 32 bit machine that would otherwise be a doorstop. Somewhat akin to python2.7...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Sep 2020 07:44 #180630 by cmorley
Then just use python2 currently 2.8 uses python2 and will for it's lifetime.

More
04 Sep 2020 14:12 - 06 Sep 2020 14:13 #180683 by chowderhead
Sorry, bad day. Should have stayed in bed.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2020 14:13 by chowderhead.

More
04 Sep 2020 15:39 #180692 by chowderhead
I figured it out. The libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev dependency is bogus. Install everything but that and it compiles fine.

It's unfortunate that the advise given here echos the corporate ethos of planned obsolescence. This community isn't about that.

More
04 Sep 2020 17:34 #180719 by cmorley
Well I'm sorry if you didn't like my answer. I was trying to say that support won't end in a year.
You are using 32 bit machine so are already using an end of life product, why try to use cutting edge python3 support too?
Master branch does not fully support python3.
currently gladevcp. qtvcp and pncconf don't use python3

I'm glad you found a work around for your problem though, and if you do use python3 and find bugs please lets us know.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight

More
04 Sep 2020 20:45 - 04 Sep 2020 21:13 #180754 by BeagleBrainz
Hmmm a bit rough reply chowderhead my old bean.
I don’t think there is any planned obsolescence in the project. 2.8 is stable version on the cusp of official release, 2.9 is the master, ie on the cutting edge so to say.
Many distros are dropping 32 bit support and along with that python2.
It is what is.
Remember the devs and those that frequent the forum do so of their own free will.
Sometimes things don’t go the way you want, but that is life.
Chris is a top bloke, when he has the time he has fixed issues in the source within the hour, sometimes multiple issues within a day, so you really can’t better help than that.
In saying all that, ranting ?, I’ll just assume you’ve had a bad day and you’re off your game. It happens to all.
Anyways good luck with your project and don’t forget to report back.
Cheers
Rob

An example of a bad day, getting threads mixed up. Pulling teeth comment removed and apologised for.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 21:13 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, rodw, chowderhead, Aciera

More
06 Sep 2020 14:43 #181011 by chowderhead
Indeed I need to be taken down a few notches, especially given the caliber of the contributors here compared to my palsy efforts.

My sincere apology to all.

With respect to the topic at hand, it has been accomplished. I realized there is a pipe in the dependencies list and the broken dependency isn't relevant for Stretch/Buster. Following the instructions of rene-dev here and configuring with the relevant flags did the trick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmorley, Aciera, BeagleBrainz

More
06 Sep 2020 22:00 #181067 by BeagleBrainz
Lots of respect mate.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds