Issues with toolchanger.comp

More
01 Jan 2021 22:08 #193759 by mikeross
I decided to update my emco compact 5 lathe to the buster ISO with Linuxcnc 2.8.0 so it would match my mill, and be 1 less different thing to deal with, along with getting internet connected to it.

So I have managed to get it all installed, but I'm running into issues with the toolchanger component, which was based off of ArcEye's for the Boxford (but modified to work in my case). I feel like I'm close but after much searching I can't seem to get Linuxcnc to run with the toolchanger.comp.

Details:
I have installed Linuxncnc-uspace-dev
I can run halcompile --install toolchanger.comp and it appears to work
When I start Linuxcnc I get the error:

HAL: ERROR: function 'toolchanger' not found
./Emco_Lathe.hal:28: addf failed

Suggestions on what to do are welcomed.
Mike

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_info.txt
File Size:4 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Emco_Lathe...1-01.hal
File Size:12 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Emco_Lathe...1-01.ini
File Size:5 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: toolchange...-01.comp
File Size:10 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2021 23:02 #193767 by tommylight
Did you remove everything up to and including this line
net ATC-enable <= YOURPIN => toolchanger.enable => stepgen.2.enable
in the toolchanger_2021-01-01.comp ?
Everything before and including that line belongs in the hal file, not in a comp file.

More
08 Jan 2021 01:07 #194449 by mikeross
yes,

I think the issue needs more explanation from me and I may have posted in the wrong sub forum for it.

I'm trying to use the toolchanger.comp with a MESA 7i76e and not a parallel port.
So there are bunch possible issues there to do with the HAL configuration and INI which is why I posted here, but maybe belongs in an area for interface cards (MESA)?

I do know that the function / wiring are ok as I can configure the tool changer as A-axis (uses stepgen.02) and it will work (spin forward/reverse) with the job buttons. So at least all my troubleshooting is confined to the configuration or comp file.

Thanks,

Mike

More
08 Jan 2021 03:22 #194463 by mikeross
I'm making progress! 1st issue was that I had a physical switch configured for the toolchanger (proximity switch) and it was preventing motion (not configured with my quick test config using A-axis). With that solved, I get motion on the toolchanger, but it oscillates back and forth indefinitely and never seems to end a tool change. I'm thinking this was why there was a limit3 function previously, but I'd taken it out as I couldn't seem to get it to work. Looks like the syntax around it is slightly different than it used to be so, I'll dive into the use of limit3 and how to apply it to this toolchanger and hopefully have more progress in the next few days. I'll also try and post some updated hal , ini and comp files tomorrow and maybe a link to a video showing the behaviour.

More
08 Jan 2021 04:24 - 08 Jan 2021 04:26 #194466 by Benb
Replied by Benb on topic Issues with toolchanger.comp
Mike, As far as the oscillation problem, you need to put back limit3 component and play with the smooth-steps parameter to tune out the oscilliation.

From the man page:
limit3.N.smooth-steps u32 in (default: 2)
Smooth out acceleration this many periods before reaching input or max/min limit. Higher values avoid oscillation, but will accelerate slightly more slowly.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2021 04:26 by Benb.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds