Pin 'spindle-enable' does not exist

More
04 Feb 2021 17:27 #197664 by EragonPower
Hello,
In a previous topic i was looking for a solution to my spindle VFD problem, to recap, my VFD has FWD and REV pins for controlling it, not ENA and DIR, as my mesa 7i76e, so i tried to reconfigure the pin outputs to work with FWD/REV in hal, the modification worked at first, AXIS started, but i couldn't try the VFD because i hadn't homed the machine(i haven't a CNC yet, it's coming in the next month, but i've started to build the electical panel any way), i've made this mod some days ago.
Fast forward to today, i've started AXIS from the Desktop and this error appared:

./CNC.hal:379: Pin 'spindle-enable' does not exist

i've looked through the .hal file for an hour searching for the problem, but i found none.
Here are the .hal and .ini files with also the crash report.

Is there anyone that knows what causes the problem?

Thanks in advance

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC.ini
File Size:6 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC.hal
File Size:16 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.txt
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2021 19:18 #197671 by Clive S
re

./CNC.hal:379: Pin 'spindle-enable' does not exist

Just say that the error is on line 379 in the hal file. I am not sure but the pin spindle-enable might have changed so use halshow to find the correct name.

Try just hashing # that line out to move on.

More
04 Feb 2021 20:29 - 04 Feb 2021 21:07 #197679 by EragonPower
i've tried using halshow and the names are correct, i've hashed the line and the problem went to the line below

./CNC.hal:381: Pin 'spindleEnableMesa' does not exist

Edit: I've rewatched a video from swolebro on youtube(www.youtube.com/channel/UCRMLI3S0AFukV1tzX6Cl2Cw) and noticed that he wrote "motion." in front of "spindle-on", so i tried that and AXIS started. I'm not shore why that worked, maybe it's because spindle-enable is a motion pin, so it needed "motion." before it (motion.spindle-enable)
Last edit: 04 Feb 2021 21:07 by EragonPower.

More
04 Feb 2021 20:50 #197681 by Hakan
Simple mistake, you just have things on the line in the wrong order.
net <net-name> <pins>
you have
net <pins> <net-name>

More
05 Feb 2021 11:00 #197721 by andypugh

"motion." in front of "spindle-on", so i tried that and AXIS started.

Which version of LinuxCNC are you using?

if motion.spindle-on is a valid pin name then you must be using an old version of LinuxCNC.

But from other things that you have said I suspect that what you have done is create a signal name in HAL called "motion.spindle-on"

The HAL "net" command creates a signal, to which you can then connect as many pins as you want.
But the signal name can be anything (including the name of an existing pin, but that's a really bad idea)

The pin names, however, must be pins that already exist at the time that the net command is executed.

And, on LinuxCNC v2.8+ the spindle on is "spindle.0.on" (or, spindle.1.on for the second spindle, and so on)

More
05 Feb 2021 11:56 - 05 Feb 2021 11:57 #197732 by EragonPower
I'm using Linuxcnc 2.8, at first adding "motion." made AXIS start, but now, it's now working again, am i missing something? I'm fearly new at linuxcnc, i don't have many hours working with HAL.
The problem is that AXIS gives a "Pin does not exist"

Update: I've remade HAL file through PnCConf, added and2 components, loaded them into the servo-thread, and connected the signals to the pins of the ands.

I was doing a big mistake, i was connecting the signals to the and2 using this structure:

net spindle-enable => and2.0.in1

the arrow wasn't needed an i wasn't specifing the pin, i've instead have used:

net spindle-enable and2.0.in1

When i've started using this structure AXIS started without errors and everything looks right
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 11:57 by EragonPower.

More
06 Feb 2021 10:37 #197821 by newbynobi
LINUXCNC does support now more than one spindle, so the Hal pin name must be something like spindle.0.enable.

If I have such problems, I do comment out the entry in my Hal file. I do this with all stuff, that is not ok, until my GUI does start. Then I do open Hal show from the GUI and open the same time the Hal file in an editor. So I can compare the pin names from the Hal file and halshow. After correcting the names, I save the Hal file and restart linuxcnc.

Norbert

More
06 Feb 2021 12:11 #197828 by bevins

I'm using Linuxcnc 2.8, at first adding "motion." made AXIS start, but now, it's now working again, am i missing something? I'm fearly new at linuxcnc, i don't have many hours working with HAL.
The problem is that AXIS gives a "Pin does not exist"

Update: I've remade HAL file through PnCConf, added and2 components, loaded them into the servo-thread, and connected the signals to the pins of the ands.

I was doing a big mistake, i was connecting the signals to the and2 using this structure:

net spindle-enable => and2.0.in1

the arrow wasn't needed an i wasn't specifing the pin, i've instead have used:

net spindle-enable and2.0.in1

When i've started using this structure AXIS started without errors and everything looks right

Those two statements do the exact same thing. The => does nothing and is for visual enjoyment only.

More
19 Mar 2021 20:33 - 19 Mar 2021 20:35 #202890 by Muzzer

And, on LinuxCNC v2.8+ the spindle on is "spindle.0.on" (or, spindle.1.on for the second spindle, and so on)

I really don't understand how this spindle.0.on signal is generated and by what. Is it logically the same as spindle.0.enable in the spindle RT component man? I get the feeling that "on", "enable", "true" and "1" may all have the same effect.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/spindle.9.html

PncConf has set up 3 PID instances for my lathe (x, y and s) but I can't see spindle being called. However, in the main hal file I have 3 connections to my spindle-enable net:

net spindle-enable <= spindle.0.on (where does this come from?)
net spindle-enable => pid.s.enable
net spindle-enable => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinena

Can you tell me where spindle.0.on connects? Many thanks. You will note that there is no "loadrt spindle" anywhere.

There are still various things not working here. The pendant connects up but doesn't control the Probe Basic GUI. I have some work to do here to understand what is happening.

File Attachment:

File Name: Bantam_v1_...3-19.hal
File Size:9 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: probe_basi...3-19.ini
File Size:7 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: xhc-whb04b-6.hal
File Size:11 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Mar 2021 20:35 by Muzzer.

More
19 Mar 2021 20:41 #202892 by PCW
All spindle pins exported by motion:

halcmd: show pin spi
Component Pins:
Owner   Type  Dir         Value  Name
    13  bit   IN          FALSE  spindle.0.amp-fault-in
    13  bit   IN           TRUE  spindle.0.at-speed
    13  bit   OUT          TRUE  spindle.0.brake
    13  bit   OUT         FALSE  spindle.0.forward
    13  bit   I/O         FALSE  spindle.0.index-enable <=> spindle-index-enable
    13  bit   IN          FALSE  spindle.0.inhibit
    13  bit   IN          FALSE  spindle.0.is-oriented
    13  bit   OUT         FALSE  spindle.0.locked
    13  bit   OUT         FALSE  spindle.0.on
    13  bit   OUT         FALSE  spindle.0.orient
    13  float OUT             0  spindle.0.orient-angle
    13  s32   IN              0  spindle.0.orient-fault
    13  s32   OUT             0  spindle.0.orient-mode
    13  bit   OUT         FALSE  spindle.0.reverse
    13  float IN              0  spindle.0.revs
    13  float OUT             0  spindle.0.speed-cmd-rps
    13  float IN              0  spindle.0.speed-in
    13  float OUT             0  spindle.0.speed-out
    13  float OUT             0  spindle.0.speed-out-abs
    13  float OUT             0  spindle.0.speed-out-rps
    13  float OUT             0  spindle.0.speed-out-rps-abs

Time to create page: 1.555 seconds