Qualifying HAL conditions to avoid error dialogs at startup

More
11 Feb 2021 21:10 #198443 by jtrantow
Are there guidelines somewhere on how to "qualify" some hal conditions to avoid error dialogs?

Recently, I was occasionally triggering startup errors when I enabled quad errors with:

setp hm2_7i92.0.encoder.03.quad-error-enable true

PCW's suggestion to use halui.machine.is−on works for bit values.

net signal_name <= halui.machine.is−on => hm2_7i92.0.encoder.03.quad-error-enable

I have been updating the Simple Remote Pendant for 2.8 and sometimes see the error dialog when the config starts up. What's the best way to qualify/gate signals like the analog jog values(halui.joint.0.analog )? Do you run each signal through a mux2 controlled by machine.is-on? Do the halui.axis.L.analog pins also need to be protected?

halui.joint.0.analog halui.axis.x.analog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2021 23:59 #198457 by jtrantow
I inserted some mux2 components and used machine-on to select between 0.0 and the jog-analog signals. This cleared up the jog error dialogs I was occasionally seeing when axis starts.

If there is a better method please let me know.

Lathe XZ joypad jog

Mill XYZ joypad jog
Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2021 06:00 #198498 by jtrantow
The mux cleans up the error dialogs at startup, but then I was getting error dialogs when halui turns the machine off. (and probably on e-stop) I get two EMC_JOG_STOP errors every time I go from machine-on to off. So I was getting a EMC_JOG_STOP as each axis or joint changes from whatever small float the joysticks produce to exactly 0.0 when the mux switches.

Searching the forum, I found one of Andy's 2013 messages about using a mux as a sample-hold. With this change, all is well. I will update the wiki Simple Remote Pendant to reflect this.

Attachments:

More
19 Feb 2021 09:47 #199388 by Benb
@jtrantow
Have a look at this configuration, similar to yours with few more clues:
softsolder.com/2010/10/23/logitech-gamep...for-the-joggy-thing/

Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2021 17:46 #199736 by jtrantow
The HAL-Configuration with Eagle looks nice. Does that work with 2.8?

Likewise, the extra jogging features (lock out and change speed with the button) look nice.

The example you linked to looks pre-2.8. I don't see anything that guards against the joint jog-speed changing when in e-stop or off???

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds