Pci to paralell port isnt working correctly.

More
05 Aug 2021 15:06 #216985 by vaivadukas
Hello. 
iam trying to hook up spindle after my machines computer got changed. The previous computer had lpt port integrated into its motherbord. And its adress was 0×378. Now when iam using my new pci to lpt adapter my new adress is 0xa200 and 0xa300. I have downloaded lpt port tester where i can activate each pin separately by pushing buttons. That tester is also using a .hal file to work. I have edited that file because it also had loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out" so i edited it to ... cfg="0xa200 out ". Now when pushing buttons in the test program and hooking my osiloscope to theese pins i can see activity. (It was not working with 0x378 adress). Soo, my next step whas that i edited  my cnc .hal file to also loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xa200 out". But when i start my cnc program, and increase spindle speed for example, the pin that was responsible for that isnt working at all. Iam using some sort of homemade pwm to 0-10v analog converter to control the spindle. And as soon as i plug that board into lpt port and press red button to start my cnc the spindle starts going without me giving it any sort of command. There may also be an issue with that board, but iam not concerned with that at the moment, because the pins arent working. Thats my main issue. So probably my main question is: is there something else in .hal files that i would have to change after using pci to lpt adapter after my previous pc had lpt integrated to the motherbord, or is the loadrt hal_parport cfg"***" line the only one that changes anything ? Sorry, iam new to cnc, and programing. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2021 15:39 - 05 Aug 2021 15:41 #216988 by PCW
It should be the same but there can be subtle differences in parallel port hardware

What pin is used for the analog out signal?

Can you toggle this pin with the test program?

You might try setting the port mode to EPP rather than OUT
as this changes open drain outputs to push-pull on some
parallel port chips.

Also it may be the the PCI port is a 3.3V device and 3.3V outputs may not drive
certain hardware correctly, perhaps requiring an external pullup resistor to 5V
or a minor change in the analog 0-10V circuitry
Last edit: 05 Aug 2021 15:41 by PCW.

More
05 Aug 2021 16:23 #216991 by vaivadukas
Yes the pin responsible for analog works in test program. But not when i try to do so in linuxcnc

More
05 Aug 2021 17:20 #216997 by PCW
What are the signal levels (high and low) of the pin?

More
06 Aug 2021 18:01 #217066 by vaivadukas
Thanks everyone. Got things sorted out. Main problem was that linuxcnc was using .hal file from some sort of recovery folder. The other problem was that the outputs of pins were 3.3 v. And that was not enough for relays to work. I have solved it by using lpt adapter not from pci port but from some other motherbord port. It gave enough voltage for relays and everything.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds