MB2HAL not fully compatible with LinuxCNC 2.9 ?

More
19 Jan 2022 19:28 #232474 by rebelx
Dear All,
I have been running my Gerber Sabre 408 on LinuxCNC 2.7 and 2.8 without problems for several years, using MB2HAL for communication with my Omron P5+ VFD. Since I wanted to switch to qtdragon_hd as a UI for my touchscreen display, I decided to upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.9. However, somehow MB2HAL seems to give a problem. After the hal pins are successfully created and the module seems running, it suddenly shuts down with the following error:
./omron-mb2hal.hal:21: Pin 'spindle-vfd.runmode.00' does not exist

It seems weird to me, as the pins were created successfully. When I comment out that particular line in my omron-mb2hal,hal file, a similar error occurs on line 25. When I comment that out too, the UI starts up without problems and the machine runs, except no spindle control obviously.
I have attached the debug file (linuxcnc.report) as well as the omron-mb2hal.ini and omron-mb2hal.hal files.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Eric

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2022 14:36 #232525 by HansU
Try changing
spindle-vfd.runmode.00
to
spindle-vfd.runmode.float.00
and
spindle-vfd.target-freq.00
to
spindle-vfd.target-freq.float.00
in your HAL-file.

Yes. The structure of the pins changed a bit to be more consistent and provide float and int pins and inverted bool pins.
Just have a look at the differences:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/drivers/mb2hal.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/drivers/mb2hal.html

More
20 Jan 2022 17:03 - 20 Jan 2022 17:19 #232538 by rebelx
Hi Hansu, first of all thank you for your quick reply. I made the suggested changes, but the error still happens:
./omron-mb2hal.hal:21: Pin 'spindle-vfd.runmode.float.00' does not exist

I have attached the debug report. As you can see it seems that pin spindle-vfd.runmode.00 is being created and after all the pins have been created the module runs and then somehow quit signal 15 is being received, resulting in the module to exit.
185  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [0] pin_name [spindle-vfd.info.num_errors]
186  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [0] pin_name [spindle-vfd.info.00]
187  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [1] pin_name [spindle-vfd.real-freq.num_errors]
188  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [1] pin_name [spindle-vfd.real-freq.00]
189  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [2] pin_name [spindle-vfd.runmode.num_errors]
190  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [2] pin_name [spindle-vfd.runmode.00]
191  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [3] pin_name [spindle-vfd.target-freq.num_errors]
192  spindle-vfd create_each_mb_tx_hal_pins DEBUG: mb_tx_num [3] pin_name [spindle-vfd.target-freq.00]
193  spindle-vfd main OK: HAL components created OK
194  spindle-vfd main OK: Link thread loop and logic 0 created OK
195  spindle-vfd main OK: spindle-vfd is running
196  spindle-vfd quit_signal DEBUG: signal [15] received
197  spindle-vfd quit_cleanup DEBUG: started
198  spindle-vfd quit_cleanup DEBUG: unloading HAL module [45] ret[0]
199  spindle-vfd quit_cleanup DEBUG: done OK
200  spindle-vfd main OK: going to exit!

Perhaps my understanding may be incorrect, but I would expect a pin 'spindle-vfd.runmode.float.00' to be created instead of 'spindle-vfd.runmode.00'.

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 17:19 by rebelx.

More
20 Jan 2022 18:09 #232542 by HansU
Sorry my mistake, try again with:
spindle-vfd.runmode.00.float spindle-vfd.target-freq.00.float
A hint for debugging is to load the mb2hal component with it's ini file but don't connect any expected signals so far.
Then have a look in Halshow which signals are really created and if that is what you intended.

More
20 Jan 2022 19:04 #232546 by rebelx
Hi Hansu, thank you once more for your quick reply and yes, that did the trick! I should have know that float should come at the end but it's been a while since I wrote some decent hal code. I apologize for my stupidity :)
Thank you for your debugging hint. I will certainly look into that next time.

Case closed :)

Take care,
Eric

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds