LCNC 2.9 (Debian Buster 10), mb2hal, Fuling DBZ312 VFD

More
30 Dec 2022 20:50 #260570 by travis036
IRC/Matrix/Discord (where i am travis_farmer) was rather busy, so i thought i would put this on the forum.

i bought a spindle/vfd combo, and though it has not arrived yet, it is stated to come with a Fuling DBZ312 VFD. i would like to control this over ModBus/RS485, as i had done with my former (dead) HY VFD. but the only option i can find is mb2hal.
for reference, i have attached the manual i have for the VFD to my own forum (it was too big to attach here), and as far as i know, you do not need a membership to my own forum to view attachments. the attachment is here:
www.tjfhome.net/community/index.php?thre...le-build.16/post-138

so, that is the information i am working with with this so far not yet delivered VFD (over a week from now, expected). i have been through the docs for mb2hal for LCNC 2.9, and i can honestly say i know less now than when i started. if somebody could aid me in deciphering the docs and the VFD PDF, so i can use my VFD/spindle when it arrives, i would be most grateful. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2022 21:53 #260576 by Todd Zuercher
Setting up modbus communication for a new device you aren't familiar with is always a pain. (even when you do know what you're doing.) The documentation for the device is almost always universally awful, worse if it is Chinglish. From the looks of it your life is going to be made difficult by the fact that according to that document the drive only supports modbus functions 3 and 6. So you won't be able to address individual bits directly or read/write to multiple addresses. The first issue will result in you having to set up hal components to translate bit io to and from S32 integer numbers. The second problem will make you have to set up individual transactions for each different register you may need to access on the drive. That can lead to slower communications, especially if you must communicate with multiple devices.

So for example you'll need to set up a transaction that writes to 1000h (That would be 4096 in dec and I think the address number you'll need to use in your modbus ini file.) But you will have to send to that transaction an integer number representing the state that you want the drive set to, fwd=1, rev=2, stop=5... One of the mux hal components might be useful for setting the value you want for the appropriate bit inputs. (It doesn't look like simple binary bit/coil translation will work for this register.)

Hopefully this will give you a bit to chew on and get started. if not ask questions. (I often don't look at the forum over the weekends.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: travis036

More
30 Dec 2022 22:35 #260585 by travis036
Hmmm, kinda making me think i may want to control this VFD/spindle through analog means...

More
31 Dec 2022 02:00 #260601 by Todd Zuercher
It is often simpler to do analog.

Morbus does offer more control features, at the expense of setup complexity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: travis036

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds