Tandem Y axis problems

More
14 Nov 2023 12:28 - 14 Nov 2023 14:41 #285373 by alangibson
Hello all,

I'm trying to configure PlasmaC with a tandem Y axis (i.e. XYYZ). I'm having a weird issue where when I home then jog the Y axis, the Z axis value changes in QtPlasmaC, often to some absurdly large number. I get a joint following error at the same time. X and Z axes work fine when jogged. I get the same result in Axis and PlasmaC, so I can't blame the GUI.

I've read everything I can find on the subject but for the life of me I can't figure out why I'm having this problem with the attached config. Does anyone have any clue what might be wrong here?

FYI: I'm using a test bench setup with 4 steppers and no limit switches to test out a board I'm developing. That's the 'hotshot' component referred to in the .hal file. I've validated that it returns the correct values many times. I've also tried hacking it to simply return the commanded position as the feedback position. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Nov 2023 14:41 by alangibson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2023 22:57 #285437 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tandem Y axis problems
You need to uncomment the net line below in your hal file.
# ---JOINT ASSOCIATED WITH THE Z AXIS---
# net plasmac:axis-position joint.3.pos-fb => plasmac.axis-z-position

The following user(s) said Thank You: alangibson

More
15 Nov 2023 09:09 #285471 by alangibson
Replied by alangibson on topic Tandem Y axis problems
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that doesn't help. I just uncommented, homed axes, jogged Y. Z DRO jumped to 838860 and a "joint 3 following error" disabled motion. I remain baffled as to what could be causing this.

More
15 Nov 2023 12:34 #285495 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Tandem Y axis problems
Your hal file is crippled beyond belief, it is a miracle it starts.
Make a new config, do not edit stuff at random.

More
15 Nov 2023 12:59 #285501 by alangibson
I guess the board I'm building requires some explanation. The config I posted works great in XYZ mode. I'll post the component code in a minute.

There is no stepgen in the hal file because the TMC5041 drivers I'm using has it built in. It also provides servo-like feedback for steppers as they have some secret sauce for detecting stalls.

More
15 Nov 2023 13:15 #285505 by alangibson
Here's the component code. And the drivers I'm using for background: www.analog.com/media/en/technical-docume...atasheet_rev1.16.pdf
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2023 14:27 #285513 by alangibson
As suggested I regenerated the config with Stepconf, then replaced the stepgen and parport stuff with references to my board. I also added HOME_SEQUENCE settings to joints in the INI file. The weird problem with the Z axis DRO value seems to be gone.

Now the Y axis occasionally stops being tandem and only one motor turns. I'm going to debug that then post the configuration when it fully works.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds