Hal format changes from 2.8 to 2,9? (xhc-whb04b-6 related)

More
22 Feb 2024 09:19 #293963 by Halbear
Hi All,
Have spent the past day battling through various attempts to get the 16-button variety of XHC-WHB04B-6 working without success.
I can see every event via the xhc-whb04b-6 -ue command the pendant puts out, everything works when using the -p suffix except for the handwheel, but no matter what I try I cant open lcnc without incurring an error, trying both Axis and QT_Dragon.

A log file ("print file information..) is attached below with the latest error at the bottom
(No input devices could be opened.  This usually indicates a misconfigured system.  Please read the section 'PERMISSIONS AND UDEV' in the hal_input manpage
./my_LinuxCNC_machine.hal:13: waitpid failed hal_input hal_input
./my_LinuxCNC_machine.hal:13: hal_input exited without becoming ready
3799).

The HAL entries and mods were from what Erik Salo (sp) had suggested in his posts and video, the .rules entry looks correct for that model of pendant, the custom.hal entry is correct and the spelling and case were triple-checked to make sure it wasn't some careless error.

I'm at a loss and wondering if it was some syntax or format change from 2.8 to 2.9 (I'm running the latest stable version on Debian 12) that's just causing issue with however 2.9 works. I tried to follow talla83's video as well but couldn't follow along due to differences with the current docs.

Any help appreciated, I'm open to ideas. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2024 17:42 #294005 by Halbear
Correction: the above stuff was generated by pnCconf but is identical to what Erik had posted. I had generated a few new profiles trying to get this to work and posted one of those (an Axis one).

There was also an uppercase/lowercase discrepancy in the Custom.hal entry as well as the but I get the same line-13 error when it all matches.

More
24 Feb 2024 03:33 #294168 by Halbear
Hi guys,

With SMC's help and noodling around it's been figured out. The most challenging thing keeping anything from running was that, based on other configurations people had uploaded, I had manually entered in "source xhc-whb04b-6 (.Hal? Can't remember now) into the custom.hal file which gave me a hal_input error. After that was removed, it was just a matter of deleting dual pin assignments in the Hal file and everything worked. 

Now to just figure our ilowpass 

More
24 Feb 2024 06:56 - 24 Feb 2024 07:00 #294182 by Mecanix
I have a functional xhc-whb04b-6 (Axis 2.9.2) along with the hal bits and what not. I'm away from where a backup of that is stored however plan on heading there Sunday. Since whacked out this pendant for a hardwired one hence the lack of hands on atm... pardon that. 

I'll share that in a day if you're not in a rush. Although and to my knowledge the macro buttons never really worked other than perhaps the reset/start and spindle ones. The step/continuous mpg and selector knobs certainly works fine though. Kinda miss that wireless mpg in fact!

brb
Last edit: 24 Feb 2024 07:00 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halbear

More
24 Feb 2024 14:19 - 24 Feb 2024 14:20 #294212 by Mecanix
1. Remove all the references you have about your pendant. All of it. Particularly that ref in custom.hal

2. Add a new path to your *.INI file under [HAL].
[HAL]
HALUI = halui
HALFILE = xhc-whb04b-6.hal

3. Save "xhc-whb04b-6.hal" into your machine config folder. 

4. Connect USB dongle, start Linuxcnc, home everything<--important.

5. Press the STEP button once (on the pendant, hidden next to the mpg wheel <--even more important.)

Rotate those knobs where you need'em, And Joggy Joggy!

(ps. zero halui macro danger crapcrap in there. Just the MPG and knobs that works. Feel free to re-enable those if you're the danger type.)
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2024 14:20 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halbear

More
01 Mar 2024 08:41 #294824 by Halbear
Thanks guys,
I appreciate the support and offers of more support! It's been working pretty well since sorting all that out.. not super easy when being new to this type of configuration but better than if it was in C or something!

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds