Using linuxcnc to drive a delta robot arm in real time

More
03 Jun 2024 17:02 #302251 by hellvetica
Hi,
I'm fairly new to linuxcnc and am working with a colleague who is relatively experienced. We made a large delta robot arm and plan to use it as a pick and place system coupled with a vision system to move items from a conveyor belt. We setup the arm in linuxcnc and can move it using gcode. The motion control and IK work fine.

I managed to use the python MDI interface to send gcode to the arm. This works OK but there is a small delay when sending the commands and I don't know how I would approach timing and synchronizing the movements through gcode as you don't really know when exactly they're going to be executed.
Ideally, I would somehow inject my coordinates and speeds into the motion controller using HAL but after digging quite a bit I didn't find an obvious way to do that.

What is the best way to do this and how would you approach this?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2024 05:51 #302295 by Aciera
For timing critical applications you would probably want to avoid anything python and use C/C++ instead.
I would try to use a C HAL component to get the required values into hal, then use the motion.digital and motion.analog pins and use M66 to wait for the respective values in a running gcode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, DPFlex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds