Show final position via HAL

More
02 Apr 2011 09:59 - 02 Apr 2011 10:06 #8387 by Mike_Eitel
Hi
I'm implementing a new jogwheel to my configuration.
( 4 axis, stepperconfig via parport, jogwheel via second parport , Ububtu 8.4 , EMC version 2.4.6 )

I use pyvcp to add informations to axis.
I can see prechoosen axis, jogging activity, and choosen scale factor.

As my mill is not the fastest, it's easy to jog/request a position that is farer than I want to go....
Therefore it would be nice to show the "position" that the axis will reach when "jogged" position is finaly reached. ( Sorry for my expressions, I'm not native English)

I looked around doc, also HAL Show and HAL Meter, that shows the "aimed to position" for an axis. Could not find any pin.

Could somebody give me a hint for that signal/pin

THX Mike

P.S.
pend-counts is not usable, nor "x"pos-cmd or "x"pos-fb
Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 10:06 by Mike_Eitel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 11:50 #8393 by BigJohnT
I assume you mean you have a MPG to jog with and you are in position mode. Normally you use velocity mode so when you stop turning the dial the machine stops.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/examples_mpg.html

John

More
03 Apr 2011 09:57 #8410 by Mike_Eitel
Hi John, THX

Yes you are right.
But some month ago I was not succesfull with the velocity mode, will retest it again.

Nevertheless I thonk it could be nice to show the precise position you want to reach... For a "manual" milling mode.
Friend of mine also likes the idea.....

Any hint's where I could find that "to go to" value and or a description how the jogimg functionality works .....

Mike

More
03 Apr 2011 17:10 #8419 by BigJohnT
You might look at the motion group and see if one of those gives you that info.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

For manual milling to a specific point I would just use the MDI tab and type in G1 X1.234 Y2.3435 F12.3 and know you will cut that path. A little slip of the encoder wheel and you might not get what you desire...

John

More
03 Apr 2011 18:54 #8420 by Mike_Eitel
THX John

I accept your argumets... For sure I use MDI mode ... but somehow hasjogging a little bit the "charm of manual milling" ;-)

And with my slow "hobyist" mill I could corect to the correct value, if I can see on the screen, before my mill reaches position.

I will look tommorow in the link you gave me, I hope I missed one of those pins.....

THX and good night
Mike

More
03 Apr 2011 20:27 #8423 by BigJohnT
Give velocity mode a whirl and see if you can get the "charm of manual milling" that way. With a slow mill even if you know the endpoint to me that would get me confused watching the cutter cut and twirling the hand wheel as I cut only to look up and see that I will go well past the point that I desire.

Another option is to write a comp perhaps. I have one that hijacks the Z for my torch height control.

John

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds