Tool Touch Off

More
07 Jul 2011 12:59 - 07 Jul 2011 13:03 #11225 by BigJohnT
Tool Touch Off was created by BigJohnT
What I'll attempt to do is show how I touch off the tools on my turret on my CHNC lathe.

In this case I've added a drill bit to my chuck and loaded and selected the tool with the following in the MDI tab:

T6 M6 G43

I use a 0.375" dowel to touch off all of my tools Z to the face of my spindle and call that Z 0.000.

Using my MPG I position the tip of the drill by slowly moving backwards until the dowel just passes under then use the touch off button in Axis and set the tool table Z offset to 0.000 making sure the Z axis is selected first.

I'll add some screen shots of what I do in EMC as time allows.

John
Last edit: 07 Jul 2011 13:03 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2012 23:55 - 01 Aug 2012 23:55 #22662 by dangercraft
Replied by dangercraft on topic Re:Tool Touch Off
Hey John,
We do something similar on our big lathe to set the tool offsets since our tool holder only holds a single tool that has to be changed somewhat frequently (once a day). For the railway wheels there is a specific point on all wheels that we use for Z and X. We get the tool close in to where you can just barely see the light between the tool and the reference, then we use a feeler gauge to measure the remaining distance.

Frank
Last edit: 01 Aug 2012 23:55 by dangercraft.

More
08 May 2013 09:24 #33750 by Zahnrad Kopf
Replied by Zahnrad Kopf on topic Tool Touch Off
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to have a tool eye for setting tools?

More
09 May 2013 04:20 #33806 by tenaja
Replied by tenaja on topic Tool Touch Off
I have done both methods that John and Frank describe. John's seemed faster, because finding the right feeler gauge can slow you down.

I have also used a block with a dial indicator on it, and that is really nice...it's a solid block with a piston that moves the dial. You set it up so the dial reads "0" at exactly 1.0000", and it is very quick and easy.

You can't beat John's method for cheap, though, if you have a precision dowel.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds