4 Axis configs?

More
19 Sep 2012 01:33 - 19 Sep 2012 03:58 #24400 by zaneiel
4 Axis configs? was created by zaneiel
Hello all, this is my first post. I have been a silent reader for a few months as I have been saving for my new system.
I finally ordered electronics, X2 mini mill, and put together a tooling package so i am stoked.

While i wait for my stuff to arrive I have been looking through the forums and I think i will make an encoder or 2.. here is my main questions:

can I setup an encoder for spindle RPM and also have my 4th axis be able to swap configs between step and lathe type modes without loading a different configuration?.
can linuxcnc display 2 spindle speeds or swap the display to the other spindle when in use?

I picture an encoder with index on the main spindle as well as a separate encoder and index on the 4th axis.

I would also like to mount tool holders with variuos tools such as cutting tool, thread tool, etc kind of a rack if you will to the head column.

I want a setup similar to Simpson36's rig here in this youtube video:

This guy did it with Mach3 so i am pretty sure linuxcnc should be able to do as good if not better of a job yes?
I would appreciate any advice with .hal files and setup.
plz help thanks!
Last edit: 19 Sep 2012 03:58 by zaneiel. Reason: better format of question(s)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2012 07:55 #24407 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:4 Axis configs?
Hi

If you search for 'stepper spindle' on the forum you will come up with several relevant threads including these

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...iew&catid=16&id=3518
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...21987&catid=38#21987

The question comes up quite often, depends exactly how you are going to go about it.

The easiest thing is to use 2 configs, but it should also be possible to unlink various pins and link to others dynamically through hal_cmd calls.

The way to go, will be to set up a config for both modes so that they work and then look at the feasibility of hot swapping between them using a user M code or similar.
Then you will have a proper idea of what is involved in each and the differences that need to be addressed.

regards

More
19 Sep 2012 12:55 #24416 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:4 Axis configs?
ArcEye wrote:

The easiest thing is to use 2 configs, but it should also be possible to unlink various pins and link to others dynamically through hal_cmd calls.

One interesting approach might be to have the spindle on a velocity-mode stepgen, and then to simply switch between two alternative PID controllers depending on the required mode.
In principle this just requires a mux2 component. In practice it needs a little more, as the position PID will want to "unwrap" all the prior lathe-mode rotations.
The "orient" hal component is probably part of the solution.
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/orient.9.html

More
19 Sep 2012 14:21 #24418 by zaneiel
Replied by zaneiel on topic Re:4 Axis configs?
Thanks for your help guys.
I was looking at Mach and now i see how he did it, its really very easy you just set it up under spindle as well as A axis and use the same pins, you just should use a 500+ oz/in stepper I would think a 800 - 1200 would be ideal possibly a servo but stepper would probably be fine.
I will probably play with both mach and linuxcnc. I like the format for sub routines and the general feel of the gcode in linuxcnc so i will probably end up there after i get better at the config stuff. As always , when in linux one has to be a config file guru hehe.

More
20 Sep 2012 02:24 #24443 by zaneiel
Replied by zaneiel on topic Re:4 Axis configs?
If I wanted to use a drill bit or spot drill mounted on the side of the head like in the video would It be easiest to G0X,Y to the starting spot and program the peck cycle by hand or is there some kind of tool offset I could use to tell the machine where the tool is and use a canned cycle?

More
20 Sep 2012 08:09 #24446 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:4 Axis configs?
Hi

The tool table can take offsets from all axes
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/gcode/tool_compensation.html

What may bite you with using a canned cycle is ensuring that the requirement for a preliminary motion is met, or you can get very strange results.
(either does not work at all or not as expected)

regards

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds