NGCGUI - Lathe integration in 2.5

More
26 Sep 2012 18:45 #24651 by RotarySMP
Hi all,

I have just upgraded from EMC 2.4.3 to linuxcnc 2.5.1, and would like to offer a big THANK YOU to those involved in integrating NGCGUI into 2.5.

I had tried to get my head around NGCGUI a couple of times, but each time gave up frustrated after hours of getting no where.

This time I just installed the sample NGCGUI sim for lathes, and then read up the user guide, copied the main commands over from the sim's .INI to mine, and got it going in a couple of hours.

The bits I hung up on were:
1/ copying everything new from the sim INI into my lathe INI, without trying to understand it. Didn't work of course :)

2/ started again, read the user guide section, and understood which, config lines I needed, and which library calls. Took a few attempts, but got it working.

While I was in the user guide I learnt the RS247 config line to add default G codes, as I want my machine ot default to G7 diamter mode.

The sample canned cycles are a great starting point. I edited them for metric and to give a 45° retract at the end of each pass in OD and ID.

When I use OD, it leaves the Lathe in G17 (XY) rather G18(XZ) which is the default. I hav not yet found which .NGC widget is being called which causes that. Any help would be appreciated.

I used to use TurboCNC, which had a canned cycled G77 which was really handy for facing, turning and boring. I probably used my lathe about 80% with just that. I swapped to Linux CNC about a year ago, as I really don't like TurboCNC handling of tool tables. It is nice to be able to do something similar to G77 with LinuxCNC now.

Regards,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2012 18:56 - 26 Sep 2012 19:02 #24653 by BigJohnT
The sample ngcgui files are quite clever the way they use helper files and that makes them difficult to follow at the same time.

Have you looked at my ngcgui files for my lathe? I find them simpler to maintain if I don't use helper files.

With ngcgui you can define several ops then concatenate them together to form one file.

John
Last edit: 26 Sep 2012 19:02 by BigJohnT.

More
27 Sep 2012 06:20 - 27 Sep 2012 06:26 #24660 by Rick G

When I use OD, it leaves the Lathe in G17 (XY) rather G18(XZ) which is the default. I hav not yet found which .NGC widget is being called which causes that. Any help would be appreciated.

With ngcgui you can select a preamble and postamble file, one to run before and one after the main file.
Look for the G17/G18 in the main file, if not there try the preamble or postamble file, or add the line to your postamble file to set it to what you want when the program is done.

Rick G
Last edit: 27 Sep 2012 06:26 by Rick G.

More
30 Sep 2012 14:48 - 30 Sep 2012 15:07 #24734 by RotarySMP
Thanks for your help.

My .ini calls the Lathe_Std.NGC as a preamble, but calls no postamble. None of the .ngc (neither lathe-std nor the other files) calls a G17. All explicitly call a G18.

G18 is the controllers default at start up.

As soon as I hit the program run button it swaps to G17. It also jumps out of Metric (G21) into G20 imperial.

This happens regardless of whether a G-code program is loaded, or run an NGC_GUI makro. If I run an NGC_GUI makro like OD, which explicitly calls G18, the machine runs the makro perfectly, but ignores the G18 call and stays in G17. The following is a screen shot after having run the OD_Taper.NGC makro.

Here is my .INI, I'll post the other two files in the next posts, as it looks like I can only attach one file here

What are the M_Files supposed to be used for?

File Attachment:

File Name: FrankenSIEG.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Sep 2012 15:07 by RotarySMP.

More
30 Sep 2012 14:49 #24735 by RotarySMP
Here is the lathe_std.ngc

File Attachment:

File Name: lathe_std.ngc
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2012 15:00 #24738 by RotarySMP
3rd time lucky....

taper_od.ngc

File Attachment:

File Name: taper_od-6...5a91.ngc
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2012 23:01 #24771 by BigJohnT
The tool diameter is pulled from the tool table you can just change it to load your tool diameter with g code. The cutter comp needs to know the tool tip diameter to cut the taper correctly.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/tool_compen...utter_compensation_a

I'm not sure about the G17 at this point, I'll have to try and replicate it tomorrow.

John.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds