OT AC Power switching

More
27 Aug 2013 05:12 #38128 by dmbgo
OT AC Power switching was created by dmbgo
Hi
I was hoping that some kind person would point me in the right direction.....
I have an Emco cnc lathe, that I have got working on the bench so to speak, and I am now up to the point of final ac wiring.
My plan ATM is this: AC in -> Main Key switch -> Power light & + 5v -> Main motor switch, this turns on power to 48v power supply for steppers and AC power to main motor. Main motor switching on and off will be done by the software, once the motor is enabled through the main motor switch.

My question is this: The Main motor switch is of the type that only stays on if everything is right, interlock switches etc. What is this type of switch called, how does it work, and where can I find a diagram of this switch? I have tried googling the part number of the switch and have found stockists, but no diagram explaining how it works.

Sorry for my naivety

Regards

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2013 16:15 #38139 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic OT AC Power switching
Hi

Without more info, the part number or something, I am guessing.

It sounds like a latching switch, one that is held closed by a second circuit operating a solenoid, if that circuit breaks the switch opens again, a bit like a manually initiated relay.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmbgo

More
27 Aug 2013 21:43 #38155 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic OT AC Power switching

My question is this: The Main motor switch is of the type that only stays on if everything is right, interlock switches etc. What is this type of switch called

Is it a "Contactor"?
uk.rs-online.com/web/p/contactors/7061103/

They are available with a variety of control voltages. (the ones in my system have 24V coils controlled by the 7i64)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmbgo

More
28 Aug 2013 06:30 - 28 Aug 2013 06:33 #38174 by dmbgo
Replied by dmbgo on topic OT AC Power switching
Thanks for your good replies Arceye and Andy,
I have now found out a bit more about this switch from the manufacturer, and have come up with a work around, since I had decided to rewire the machine anyway. You are both correct, I think the switch is meant to be a latching type, but since I could not find a coil with the meter (I think that the switch is faulty) I have decided to use it as a momentary switch and to use the main contact relay as a latching device. So here is the AC power flow ATM:
AC in -> On / Off switch (power light in parallel) 5v power supply energized when this is on -> Momentary Sw -> MC relay which is wired to stay on when energized -> 48v supply for steppers and main motor power (main motor is single phase and is . started by the software and a SSR).

If the AC power is interrupted, the MC relay should fall out and leave the machine with only 5v to keep the devices that interface with the PC, and the PC itself happy.

I am up to the Main motor section of proceedings now........

Thanks again

Dave
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2013 06:33 by dmbgo. Reason: Elucidation

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds