Hardware requirements for G76 Utilization

More
30 Aug 2013 22:24 #38249 by Anappa
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to LinuxCNC (liking it very much by the way) and I could use a little direction if someone has a minute on the hardware requirements for threading function G76. I currently have a mini-lathe retrofitted with stepper motor controls (working very nicely), the spindle is manually switched on and there is currently no feedback or indication to the PC that there is a spindle or even that it's on.

My question specifically is: Can I use a 100ppr encoder with an index pulse and synchronize via software with the actual spindle rpm or do I need some method of direct spindle speed control like a VFD?

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the guidance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2013 23:07 - 30 Aug 2013 23:08 #38253 by ArcEye
Hi

That should work fine.

I have an index pulse via a hall effect switch triggered by an embedded magnet in the spindle pulley

There is a 120ppr optical disc on the spindle shaft for the pulses.

I try to make it easier for the software, by having a spindle speed and pitch that are proportional to each other, or at least easily divisible and having a lead-in which is a multiple of the pitch.
eg
S450 Pitch 1.5mm Lead-In 15mm
S300 Pitch 1mm Lead-In 10mm

In theory you could have any old values, but why have fractional remainders when you don't need to

regards
Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 23:08 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anappa

More
31 Aug 2013 09:35 #38275 by andypugh

My question specifically is: Can I use a 100ppr encoder with an index pulse and synchronize via software with the actual spindle rpm

You can actually do it with just a single pulse per rev: You set up a counter-mode encoder with a shared A and Z pin and use position-interpolated from the encoder to the motion controller. This works better with a big, heavy, powerful lathe where the spindle speed doesn't vary rev-to-rev.

On a Mini-lathe a pulse wheel plus index is a lot more satisfactory. Choose the number of pulses to suit the base-thread period and the maximimum speed you want to track spindle position at.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds