Changing from Mach 3 to Linux

More
10 Jan 2014 08:54 #42567 by woffler
Thank you for your gracious reply's . my spindle is hollow and I will remember you suggestion to make sure I drive the Encoder at 1:1 ratio .

I am going to order a combo from Mesa as others have suggested and it may not be long before I up-grade the drives to Analog it is only two axis after all .

I am sure I will probably be back asking more questions as I go along and I would like to thank you all for your help .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2014 09:39 #42569 by Todd Zuercher
Analog isn't necessarily an upgrade from a digital drive control. You can acheive all the advatages of the analog system, by adding encoder feedback to your digital drive system. If you use a daughter card like the 7i85 (digital step/dir with encoder inputs).
The following user(s) said Thank You: woffler

More
11 Jan 2014 23:04 #42618 by woffler
I talked to Peter at Mesa today and he had me send the PDF for the B/O board and they are going to program the PCI slot card 5I25 to the B/O for me and come up with a adapter board for the Encoder on the spindle.

To keep the cost down so I do not have to purchase an expensive daughter board ,very nice of them to do this for me .

This gives me some time to play around with the program and try and learn something about it, one problem I came across in the configuration of the drivers as these are A/C brushless servos accepting step and direction signals .

The program asks for step angle and duration ,I can find no information about this any where and ran across a gentleman trying to do the same thing and he could find no information either.

I know others are using this system DMMTECH servos with Lenox CNC I saw one with multiple arms of some kind .

So if someone knows this gentleman could you please point me towards him so I can ask some questions and get going.

Thank You

More
12 Jan 2014 02:58 #42624 by andypugh

The program asks for step angle and duration ,I can find no information about this any where

I had a look through the DMM-tech manual and couldn't see it. Have you tried asking DMM?

More
12 Jan 2014 03:46 #42626 by woffler
Yes I have but they have not replied , I have sent a PM to a friend on another forum who is a long time user and that has worked with them at trade shows to see if he has a answer for it .

Some body has it I just have to find them and when I find it out I will post it to known configuration's for some one else to use but I have to find it out first.

I have been looking for a couple days now with no result ,may just have to wing it by trial and error but it would take for ever to get it right.

More
12 Jan 2014 06:46 - 12 Jan 2014 06:48 #42630 by andypugh

may just have to wing it by trial and error but it would take for ever to get it right.

It needs to be "long enough". Too long isn't a problem. Too short is.

You will almost certainly find that 5uS (5000 nS) for step and space works perfectly. You might have to go shorter if you need more pulses and you can't fit enough 5uS steps and spaces in each second.

[edit] Oh, and looking through the manual, I see you can use CW/CCW pulses, which I think is more elegant, though without any real justification. (LInuxCNC can do that)
Last edit: 12 Jan 2014 06:48 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woffler

More
15 Jan 2014 09:47 #42795 by woffler
Hi everyone been overwhelmed here lately ,I have gotten the 5I25 board programed at mesa and I need to figure this one out?

I talked to them the port card will be set up for my breakout board on port 1 and on port 2 they set up an encoder out put I will attach a file he sent me it is a pin file .

What do I need as far as a board to be able to brake out the ins on the second port and were do I get a cable for it?

More
15 Jan 2014 09:52 #42796 by andypugh

What do I need as far as a board to be able to brake out the ins on the second port and were do I get a cable for it?

One of these should be available from any computer shop
www.ebay.com/itm/Serial-Parallel-PCI-Slo...-Cable-/320800186502

More
15 Jan 2014 09:52 #42797 by woffler
Sorry about that had to change file types, will see if it loads this time.

File Attachment:

File Name: DMMLinuxpi...etxt.txt
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
15 Jan 2014 10:11 #42798 by woffler
I found a board called mesa 7I52 6 encoder would this work as a daughter board to input the differential encoder from the spindle on port 2?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds