beginner lathe conversion .

More
11 Aug 2014 01:14 #49662 by skeeter
Replied by skeeter on topic beginner lathe conversion .
Hi, Andy . I am glad to hear from you . I thought you fell down and the hogs got you LOL . Linux command line for sure . But also cnc too . I would like to master both of them if possible . Hey what is a hybrid form of linux and cnc could you answer that ? How to do it on my own ? I have seen others say that ubuntu is too bloated to be teamed with LCNC . My question is why can't it be stripped of all programs that is not essential to only bare bones OS plus internet and CNC . I have been watching quite a few YT videos on removing programs and all the associated files that go along with them taking into consideration the shared files that must stay . There seems to be alot of tools for this , I haven't tried this yet myself not sure how to do it . I would think i could put another drive into my cnc box and start from there . I was looking at different boards to drive the steppers from and how do you interface with the computer by cable oy opto isolation or how do you protect the host computer . Sorry another question can I buy a controller that will drive not only steppers but servos as well , save me from buying another board later possibly ?

Thanks Andy

Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2014 01:48 #49666 by andypugh

Linux command line for sure . But also cnc too

Not a specific recommendation, as it isn't one I have used, but www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/ looks OK.
For linuxCNC what I think of as the "command line" is the halcmd prompt that you get by running "halrun". That lets you enter all the usual HAL commands. I do a lot of my debugging that way as you don't need a complete system and it is easier to see what is going wrong.

I have seen others say that ubuntu is too bloated to be teamed with LCNC . My question is why can't it be stripped of all programs that is not essential to only bare bones OS plus internet and CNC .

I think that is why the latest version appears on Debian too. I haven't tried it yet, but I do have a machine running LinuxCNC on Lubuntu.

Sorry another question can I buy a controller that will drive not only steppers but servos as well , save me from buying another board later possibly

One very easy way is to use step-dir interface servo drives. In that case the step-dir interface is just being used as a command link to the drive.
It is relatively easy to swap interface modules with the Mesa cards too.
I think that the Pico products are a bit more fixed in their application, ie you either have a PPMC for servos or a USC for steppers, but I might be wrong in that.

More
18 Aug 2014 10:10 #49983 by vre
Replied by vre on topic beginner lathe conversion .
I want to retrofit a lathe and i want live tooling with brake locked spindle.
The spindle motor is controlled with a vfd also has an ABZ quadrature encoder and the braking function is done with air driven by a solenoid valve.

Is enough the ac motor + vfd + encoder + brake to do precision indexing or must install a servo motor with brake ?

More
18 Aug 2014 15:26 #49993 by andypugh

Is enough the ac motor + vfd + encoder + brake to do precision indexing or must install a servo motor with brake ?

That would depend on your definition of "precision", the number of encoder counts and the nature of the VFD.

I have tried this without the brake, with a 100-count encoder and (very importantly) a rather old, dumb, VFD which gives zero output below 50rpm demand.
This is the link (i prefer not to embed)
That is about as bad a combination as possible, so yours would almost certainly work better.

I would suggest trying it, and if you can't get the result you want look into ways to clutch-in a small stepper motor for spindle indexing work. (using the existing brake)

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds