Nardini ms1440 s lathe conversion.

More
09 Nov 2014 08:42 #52975 by mblaszkiewicz
Well starting the 2nd piece for my shop. I will be picking up a nardeli ms1440 s lathe that needs work. So going to do a cnc conversion. Just wondering if I should use steppers or servos, leaning to steppers right now due to cost. I will also need to but a vfd, 2 ballscrews, new gibbs on the x axis (missing) a new chuck (missing) and a tool holder. Any config ideas would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2014 20:36 - 09 Nov 2014 20:37 #52977 by ArcEye
Hi

I assume it is similar to this?

I have a similar, but slightly smaller geared head screw-cutting, removable gap bed manual lathe from Warco.

They are all essentially Colchester / Harrison knock offs made in China (this one is even called a Mascot). The exact finish quality is largely down to which company badges them.
Some like Warco employ their own QC inspectors in China, others just get the finished lump and may even charge extra to take it all apart, clean all the crap out, lap parts and fit decent bearings etc.

I have seen a company in China selling CNC converted versions of these lathes.
They were all servo powered and I would think with the weight of everything, that is the way to go.
Needless to say, I cannot find a link to them at present, they used to advertise on ebay.

My lathe is a very good solid manual lathe and I decided to keep it as it is.
I often find it much quicker to just forget about CNC and do things the old fashioned manual way.

regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Nov 2014 20:37 by ArcEye.

More
10 Nov 2014 04:22 #52979 by mblaszkiewicz
That is almost it. Mine is the s model 5hp single speed. The condition I am getting it is non running parts removed so cnc is going to be easier them finding all the parts and making it a manual again.

More
10 Nov 2014 09:49 #52982 by mblaszkiewicz
arceye if you have the manual is there anyway you can scan a copy for me. I don't have one .

More
10 Nov 2014 17:15 - 10 Nov 2014 19:49 #52986 by ArcEye

arceye if you have the manual is there anyway you can scan a copy for me. I don't have one .

Amazingly I do, not looked at it in 12 years.

It is a collectors item to anyone who enjoys Chinglish.

The opening page forbids the operator to use the lathe, dressed in a skirt, high heels or gloves.
Ruined the fun of many a workshop cross-dresser.

The following line
'Be subject to alteration without notice during the production procedure'
may open the door again?

I will try to scan the exploded view drawings, which are probably the only worthwhile pages.
The exact configuration of the head and gearbox may not be the same, but there are probably more similarities than differences.

I'll give you a link or similar when done

regards
Last edit: 10 Nov 2014 19:49 by ArcEye.

More
10 Nov 2014 19:47 #52988 by ArcEye
The paper and printing is such poor quality it did not scan well at all.

I have photographed the relevant pages (19) and zipped them for download from here
www.mgware.co.uk/temp/lathe-manual.zip

The zip is 47MB, I will leave it there for a couple of days

regards

More
10 Nov 2014 20:50 #52989 by mblaszkiewicz
Thanks I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to get a new wardrobe now. :(

More
11 Nov 2014 01:27 #52997 by andypugh

Just wondering if I should use steppers or servos, leaning to steppers right now due to cost

I would think that it looks a bit big for steppers, especially on the Z where built-as-CNC lathes tend to have a surprisingly big motor.
The new hybrid closed-loop steppers might be an option, I think that they run faster and so allow a bigger drive ratio.
www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-prod...-stepper-system.html
Has some information. I would be looking at the direct mains input variant, I think.
Well, actually, for a one-off _I_ would probably be shopping at the fa-parts ebay shop for second-hand matched servos and drives :-)
stores.ebay.co.uk/faparts/ (I have never used them, I just know that they have some tempting stock)

More
11 Nov 2014 19:57 - 11 Nov 2014 20:04 #53010 by eneias_eringer
Last edit: 11 Nov 2014 20:04 by eneias_eringer.

More
11 Nov 2014 20:16 #53012 by andypugh

Look!!

What motors are those?

For the length of the machine the Z motion seems a little slower than desirable, but it is better for the rapids to be slow than for the cutting force to be too small.

Has the machine made any test-cuts yet?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds