Two turrets

More
23 Apr 2016 16:19 - 24 Apr 2016 16:40 #73765 by kostyadnepr
Two turrets was created by kostyadnepr
Hello.
How can I configure LinuxCNC to control the lathe with two aprons (two turrets)?
Something like Gildemeister GDM 90 MC.
It is necessary to control independently two pairs of ears. Something like X1 Z1 and X2 Z2 or something else.
Thanks.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2016 16:40 by kostyadnepr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2016 23:08 #73780 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Two turets
If both turrets are on the same physical axis then you would use positive X for one side and negative X for the other. Tool offsets make the details work.

If there are separate axes then us X for one slide and U for the other.

More
24 Apr 2016 02:29 - 24 Apr 2016 16:41 #73784 by kostyadnepr
Replied by kostyadnepr on topic Two turrets
Thanks for the answer.
If I understand "The UV, WU and VW planes do not support arcs."
For one of the turrets will not be available G2 and G3?
How can I avoid this limitation?
Last edit: 24 Apr 2016 16:41 by kostyadnepr.

More
24 Apr 2016 11:25 #73794 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Two turets

If I understand "The UV, WU and VW planes do not support arcs."

Good point, I had forgotten that.

Also, technically, you would be trying to make UZ plane arcs, and that whole plane is unsupported.
Incidentally, this is actually a limitation of G-code. To programme centre-format arcs you use the offsets IJK to define the centre position, and the letters LMN for the ABC equivalents and OPQ for UVW are used for other things.
In principle Radius-format arcs would be possible.

The solution would be to programme the arcs as a series of short straight moves. A lot of CAM systems actually do this anyway. Difficult to do by hand, though.

Actually, I don't see any reason that you couldn't set up the extra tool slide to be a Y axis. It isn't geometrically a Y axis, but the controller doesn't know that.

More
24 Apr 2016 13:01 #73799 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Two turets
I've ran into this limitation on a router used for carving, with 2 spindle axis (ZW). My workaround was to use some hal trickery to temporarily slave and unslave the W to the Z with a couple of custom M-codes. Perhaps you could do something similar exchanging the axis/joint commands? If your interested in this I can share my configuration files.

More
24 Apr 2016 16:34 - 24 Apr 2016 16:41 #73808 by kostyadnepr
Replied by kostyadnepr on topic Two turrets
Thanks, guys.

Now in fact, both of turrets have independent control on the X and Z (two "independent" pair of axes) and can work simultaneously. Each of the turrets has a NC program. And it seems to me it is necessary to use two LinuxCNC to recreate the behavior of the old controller. But I do not have any idea how to merge them into a single controller. This would require synchronicity. I also have something to do with the GUIā€¦

Is it possible to use the LinuxCNC as a client-server and to run the GUI on another computer?
In this way it will be possible to see differentiate interfaces of both channels (both controllers) on a single monitor.

To Todd Zuercher
Share please your configuration files.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2016 16:41 by kostyadnepr.

More
25 Apr 2016 01:28 #73829 by Todd Zuercher

More
25 Apr 2016 11:46 #73838 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Two turrets

Now in fact, both of turrets have independent control on the X and Z (two "independent" pair of axes) and can work simultaneously. Each of the turrets has a NC program. And it seems to me it is necessary to use two LinuxCNC to recreate the behavior of the old controller.

Yes, that is probably the case. You can "fake" it in the G-code of a single controller, but not automatically.
What I mean is that if your current controller has the following (both starting at (0,0) for illustration though that would be expensive in practice.
G1 X1 100 F100
G1 X2 50 F100 / G1 X2 0 F100

ie, while X1 travels to 100 X2 travels to 50 and back again

You could "fake" that with a single controller that uses the Y-word to move the second axis:
G1 X 50 Y50 F100
G1 X 100 Y0

This isn't exactly equivalent, you don't have direct independent control of the feed speeds. You might be able to work round this with inverse-time mode and some clever preprocessing.

Is it possible to use the LinuxCNC as a client-server and to run the GUI on another computer?
In this way it will be possible to see differentiate interfaces of both channels (both controllers) on a single monitor.

This is something that the Machinekit project is much more flexible and capable at (largely because they like the Beagle Bone board, but that isn't powerful enough to run a GUI comfortably).

It would be very nice to be able to run two instances of the LinuxCNC motion controller in the same HAL pin space. But that is not currently possible AFAIK.

More
25 Apr 2016 12:38 #73844 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Two turrets
The idea of running two parallel controls (separate PCs) interconnected with GPIO, for some synchronization sounds intriguing, and on the surface maybe even possible.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds