Adding Y axis to lathe setup

More
15 Jun 2018 15:33 #112408 by bally123
Ok so I have a 3 axis vertical mill - its a study old beast and if I mount some jobs on the spindle actaully makes a nice little lathe.

So i want to create a separate configuration to use it in this mode.

Using axis GUI I want a 2 axis lathe graphic - with tool tip shape
I want the read out in diameter mode on x axis
I will mount the lathe tool from fixed positions on the bed, so i really only need the y axis mod to centre (jog) the tool to the job.
It would be nice to rotate the graphics to match the vertical spindle real world oreientation

I am using mesa kit so plan on starting with pnpconf for an XYZ set up, and then set lathe to 1 in the .ini

I understand I this disables a few things so I then need to modify axis.py (where is this found??)

I found some pointers in a thread below, including enable the y axis radio button when in lathe mode.

Any suggestions for the other objectives would be greatly appreciated

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2018 16:02 #112413 by bally123
Ok so I am a step closer. Set up as xyz and set axis display in lathe mode

Figured it was just far easier to configure my HB04 wireless mpg and use that to position y axis. No need to enable y axis radio button after all....

If I can find axis.py i will modify the key bindings so at least up/down is z axis and left/right is x axis to match the vertical spindle

Be good to rotate the Graphics window 90 deg

Again any pointers appreciated.

Andy

More
15 Jun 2018 17:53 #112423 by bally123
Ok, A bit further forward
Axis.py is found in usr/bin/axis

I have corrected the keyboard mappings:

if lathe:
bind_axis("Left", "Right", 0)
bind_axis("Up", "Down", 2)

This means up down are driving my vertical z axis.

In an attempt to rotate the graphics window I edited these sections commenting out the lines shown with#

def tkRotate(self, event):
#if lathe: return
Opengl.tkRotate(self, event)
self.perspective = True
widgets.view_z.configure(relief="link")
widgets.view_z2.configure(relief="link")
widgets.view_x.configure(relief="link")
widgets.view_y.configure(relief="link")
widgets.view_p.configure(relie
above The first comment marker allows me to rotate the graphics view using the mouse wheel press

root_window.after_idle(commands.set_view_y)
root_window.bind("v", commands.set_view_y)
root_window.bind("d", "")
widgets.view_z.pack_forget()
widgets.view_z2.pack_forget()
widgets.view_x.pack_forget()
#widgets.view_y.pack_forget()
widgets.view_p.pack_forget()
widgets.rotate.pack_forget()
widgets.axis_y.grid_forget()
widgets.menu_view.delete(0, 5)

The second # allows me snap back to the original Y axis view using a button on the toolbar

Its not ideal but it is a work around for now......

To get this rotated by 90 degrees as default start up I really need someone who understands this axis.py stuff, my experimenting (luck) has got as far as its going to...

Cheers
Andy

More
19 Jun 2018 16:46 #112592 by andypugh
The D button seems to toggle rotate mode, though I am not sure what effect that actually has. The wheel button seems to have an effect too (presumably that means mouse wheel button if pressed while dragging)

axis uses o.set_view to control the vieport, and I think that "o" here is the glcanon widget, though I can't see a set_view in there so perhaps it is gremlin.py ?

More
20 Jun 2018 19:40 #112655 by bally123
Hi Andy Thanks for the input.

I have managed to use the rotation with mouse wheel to some effect. However I now see bigger issues in my way.

The graphic rotate 360 degrees about z axis but limited 180 about X, Y axis cannot be rotated. So this means I cannot rotate the about X axis on the screen to get Z to match my vertical machine.

I was playing with tool table last night, the tool tip graphic also disappears if you rotate the graphic past certain thresholds, again this is a PITA as even if I could orientate the graphic as I want to I would loose the Tip graphic and that was one of my main objectives.

I feel this is becoming a much bigger mountain than I first anticipated.....

More
20 Jun 2018 19:46 #112656 by andypugh
I am beginning to think that it might be easiest to do the rotation mentally.

More
20 Jun 2018 19:50 #112658 by bally123
I think your right....:)

However maybe there is one more option, my monitor is actually mounted on a gas sprung arm, I guess as a workaround I could spin the monitor 90....:woohoo:

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds