How do I set the tool table?

More
09 Oct 2018 20:00 - 09 Oct 2018 20:02 #118604 by Einar
I haven't used the lathe for months. Primarily because after changing a tool it takes me a couple of days to get the tool table working properly. The procedure have been to use the Touch off function in Axis to get me somewhat Close. Then go in and fine tune it by calculating offsets to whatever was there. But this can easily take many hours With 8 Tools!

So I thought I would try overriding tool 1 to X=0, Z=0 as suggested: forum.linuxcnc.org/26-turning/26991-conv...-250b?start=40#74100 . I did that by editing the tool table, then saving it.

Then I brought tool 1 to the face of my part and did Touch off G54 Z=0. Then X to the periphery of a 12.5mm rod and Touch off G54 X=12.5.
After that did a M6T3G43 to bring in a threading tool. Jogged it to point at the face of my part and Touch off Tool table Z=0. Then touched the periphery of my part and entered 12.5.
After this the DRO's showed silly numbers! I include a screenshot in case there is a Clue in there that I don't know I should mention. Other than tool 1 and 3 the tool table shows "old" numbers not touched in this attempt.

It may be a clue that the numbers seems pretty Close to the offset from the home position.

I really hope I can get somewhere With this. As it is the lathe just sits there occupying space. After trying to do something with it I am close to needing psycotherapy.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Oct 2018 20:02 by Einar.
More
10 Oct 2018 13:22 #118636 by andypugh

Einar wrote: After that did a M6T3G43 to bring in a threading tool. Jogged it to point at the face of my part and Touch off Tool table Z=0. Then touched the periphery of my part and entered 12.5.
After this the DRO's showed silly numbers!

That's odd.

You _might_ need another G43 after the touch-off. (You do with Touchy).

I assume that the DRO is set to show work coordinates?

You need to enter a diameter if the lathe is in Diameter mode, and a Radius if the lathe is in Radius mode (both when touching off T1 into G54 and when touching-off the tool table.)

G10 L1 P1 X0 Z0 will set the tool-1 tool-table to zero, that's easier than editing the tool table.
More
10 Oct 2018 19:22 #118649 by Einar
Replied by Einar on topic How do I set the tool table?
I tried adding G43 after Touch off. It did not seem to make any difference.
The lathe is in diameter mode. I find that most intuitive.

It seems to me that what goes into the tool table when I Touch off Tool table is an offset from machine home position.

Could it be that my version of LinuxCNC (2.6.0~pre) have a bug that have been driving me mad?
I do not know how to find and traverse the version list to see if this is a bug that have been fixed.
And I never found this to be working as expected.
It seems to me very few are using LinuxCNC for a lathe, so lathe specific bugs may go unnoticed for a while I think.

Just now I have too many other items (cars, house, ...) that needs attention to start a new install.
But if it is a known bug I will at least just stop trying until I can do a new install.
More
10 Oct 2018 19:42 #118651 by andypugh
No, I have been using LinuxCNC with a lathe since 2.4 and it has always worked as-expected.

Later versions do at least have separate buttons for tool touch-off and coordinate-system touch-off.

When you touch-off, whether to G54 or the tool-table, the DRO should show the number you typed.

One thing that might change this is if you have "tool touch-off to fixture" set in the machine menu.

Also check that you are displaying commanded position and relative position in the View menu, just to keep things simple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Einar
More
11 Oct 2018 16:16 #118673 by Einar
Replied by Einar on topic How do I set the tool table?

andypugh wrote: One thing that might change this is if you have "tool touch-off to fixture" set in the machine menu.

And that is what it was set to!
Now corrected and everything works just as expected.
Thank you!!!!!
Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds