Sanity check before installing new control board

More
12 Jan 2020 01:30 #154657 by mooser
New control board is ready to install into the lathe I'm updating.
While it's on the bench and easy to get at I'm asking for anyone to have a look over the general setup I've made to see if I've missed something huge before bolt and wire it into the machine

6i26 installed in the pc and wired over to a 7i76 on the control board, these are installed inside the machine base cabinet

Running out from the inside to the outside of the machine are the following connectors

located near the tailstock end of the machine base
X-axis connector for the stepper
Z-axis connector for the stepper
X-axis limit/home switch wire (one switch does both + and - travel limits)
Z-axis limit (I had two switches before but only ever used the Z+ limit / home by the tailstock so I'm only wiring that one this time
Remote e-stop movable box with a single mushroom that sits by the keyboard usually
Keyboard and mouse USB connectors
VGA connector

located on the front of the machine
two USB connectors, one will likely be for the small WIFI dongle I have, the other for loading any programs from a USB stick

located at the rear of the machine near the headstock end of the base
Spindle encoder connector
USB for the pendant. I was using a shuttle with mach3 and also have an old M1 from Vistacnc. both use USB connections. I had some luck getting the M1 to talk to LinuxCNC and the shuttle works on PathPilot so I'm hoping to use one or the other.

The VFD is wired out to the motor through separate conduit

Is there any other connectors / connections I should add / consider while I can easily add new connectors?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask for any suggestions while it's still accessible
Thanks
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 12:56 #154755 by BigJohnT
On my CHNC I have a MPG, Axis Select Switch, Program Run Button, Program Pause/Resume Button and E Stop.

JT

More
14 Jan 2020 00:51 #154795 by mooser
Man I haven't seen a CHNC is a while, company I used to work for had one (and a regular HNC, loaded with punch tapes) Both worked with oil as coolant and could hold tolerances like no ones business.

At this point I'm hoping to use the shuttle or M1 pendant (hope being the key word) and relying on the USB for the jog
A program run/pause might be handy though, especially the pause...
I think I'll at least run a set of wires out to the panel for those
Thanks
M

More
15 Jan 2020 00:41 #154867 by andypugh
I mounted a pair of MPGs on the lathe apron, so I can jog just like on a manual lathe (and a switch to choose the distance per click)

photos.app.goo.gl/XKWwZQgcwYzXxGPH8

More
16 Jan 2020 00:33 #154984 by mooser
Hmmm I kinda like that setup as well.....
M

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds