Tool touch off from fixture need help

More
10 Feb 2020 00:28 #156923 by MarkD2
I am finally finishing the modifications to a EMCO compact5 lathe. The software was updated to 2.7.15 which updated without any problems. My problem is that I do not understand the touch off to fixture and subsequent touch off to work to set G54. I need tool 2 to be the master for the offsets as tool 1 is a spotting drill and tool 2 will be turn/face.

Can I do this?

MarkD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2020 13:54 #156951 by bbsr_5a
Hi
Nice Turret WHY not 8 pockets as of 45DEG

THEN TOOL Nr2 has a offset of all ZERO
and tool 1 gets a length offset Z the X is spot Zero

Workflow
TAKE a ZERO Harden PIN like 20mm H7 RIM to the Spindle
Load tool nr 2 in tool table set to ZERO al Values on Nr 2
with a pice of paper or as you may got Elecrronicle devided auto touch touch in X to the 20mm part SET G54 X 0
OR MDI www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g10-l2
((MDI G10 L2 P1 X20)) # Diameter Mode G7
SAME as of the Z to tool Nr2
Then load T1 NO Offsets in the Tool Table for now
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/lathe/lathe-u...the-tool-orientation
G10 L1 P1 Zxxxxx Q7
go to touch Z the Number in the DRO is your Tooltable offset MDI G10 L1 P1 Zxxxxx Q7
the same with X Calculate to the center

and so one with all the tools
if you update to 2.9 and use BASIC PROBE QTVCP then you got all in a GUI

More
10 Feb 2020 21:22 #156982 by MarkD2
There is no room for 4 more pockets.

Thanks for the help.
MarkD

More
26 Feb 2020 13:46 #158537 by andypugh

My problem is that I do not understand the touch off to fixture and subsequent touch off to work to set G54.

I get a bit confused by touch-off to fixture and work myself :-)

Unless you have a tool length probe then I don't think you would ever use touch-off to fixture.

So, with your reference tool loaded, make sure the tool offsets are zero, and male a test cut on diameter. Measure the diameter and set your diameter with goordinate system touch-off. Your DRO should now read diameter correctly.
Make a facing cut, and set G54 Z=0
Now change tools, make another test-cut on diameter and this time use _tool_ touch off to store the tool length relative to the reference tool.
At this point I typically _don't_ use test cuts for Z, instead I move the tool close to the faced-off reference face from earlier, and then jog away until a 6mm dowel just slips between the work and the tool. Then set the tool-touch-off to +6 mm.

Note that you won't necessarily see the DRO update without a G43 in MDI. (touchy doesn't update, I can't recall if Axis does)

Now you can happily change G54 Z using any tool. (I tend to jog, set zero, and then make a facing cut at zero)
You should avoid changing G54 X ever again, but if you do change it by accident then you should be able to restore the value with the correct G10 command in the MDI window. Consider making a note of the number.
This all assumes that you have accurate home switches. (I have resolvers acting as 24-bit absolute encoders, so my homes are spot-on). If you don't have good home switches then you might need to make a test cut every time. If your tool offsets are good then you can make the test cut with any tool.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds