Rigid tapping

More
12 Oct 2021 11:34 #222922 by russkinch
Rigid tapping was created by russkinch
Good morning,
I am wondering if it is possible to do rigid tapping on my lathe with encoder-a and index only signals? If not, no worries as I have a tapping attachment. I have tried, but when the chuck reverses, the feed still goes forward, that would result in tap being broken.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2021 14:03 #222936 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Rigid tapping
No. With only a single pulse channel the system has no way to know that the spindle has reversed direction.
It could possibly be done with a HAL component that considered the current position out of the encoder counter, the commanded direction of motor motion, and the motor speed. But nothing like that currently exists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: russkinch

More
12 Oct 2021 14:38 #222940 by russkinch
Replied by russkinch on topic Rigid tapping
Thanks Andy, I will buy another sensor like the other two I have. Once I have the Z, I take it the rest is automatic?

More
12 Oct 2021 15:03 - 12 Oct 2021 15:04 #222941 by anfänger
Replied by anfänger on topic Rigid tapping
Yes if you have an encoder with a b and index rigid tapping on the lathe works fine.

Just remember when it reaches the given depth it will start to reverse the spindle. So if you have a long spindle ramp it will „over shoot“. But its only important if you tap closed holes till the end and have a machine wich takes some time to reverse the spindle (like mine where its 3-8 revolutions depending which gear I use)
Last edit: 12 Oct 2021 15:04 by anfänger.

More
14 Oct 2021 11:14 #223072 by jpg
Replied by jpg on topic Rigid tapping

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds