Mazak Dyna-Turn 3L possible long term build

More
25 Mar 2022 18:05 #238351 by Panzergeist
Howdy folks!

I'm new here and all in all pretty fresh to the space besides dabbling with steppers, PLC's, VFD's ect ect.

Shook hands on an 77' Mazak Dyna-Turn 3L that had been taken out of service back in 85' and left hanging ever since.

This was probably a bad idea.

Regardless I'm gonna arrange delivery of this 5 ton beast and try to get it situated where i can disassemble said beast and see if it is worth giving the insane ammounts of TLC this thing will surely need.

My thinking is that if the guides, ways, screws ect are not pitted out, they should have only moderate wear on em seing as this thing probably saw less than 6 years of production. it has some kind of hydraulic stock feed machanism and a rotary 8 slot tool holder, which may or may not be interesting to keep, but it will all depend on condition.

I've come to some very soft intial paths forward that probably involves a mesa 6I35 PCI-E board and whatever extras i will end up needing.
My intial thought was to try building basic functions on something like a siemens S7 1214, but why reinvent the wheel if Linux CNC does what it says on the box!

Been dabling with PC's and PC hardware for the past 20 years but never really became comfortable with coding, terminal interfaces or linux. I'm guessing thats gonna need to change for this all to work, so progress wont be fast. Looking forward to share the madness with you all, and lurk around for insight and inspiration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2022 18:15 #238352 by andypugh

Shook hands on an 77' Mazak Dyna-Turn 3L that had been taken out of service back in 85'

I read that as a 77 foot long lathe, and was wondering what it was for :-)

More
25 Mar 2022 21:16 #238376 by Panzergeist
Is that a 4d chess way of telling me you think my lathe is too small? :D

More
26 Mar 2022 09:30 #238395 by db1981
I had the same Fanuc 5t Control on my 1979 Takisawa CNX Lathe....

One thing you should know is, that these old Fanuc DC Motors are only equiped with an incremental encoder, but the Fanuc servo drives needs an tacho signal for velocity feedback. So Fanuc generated an 0 - +-10V Tacho Signal from the encoder on the CNC Mainboard with an discrete circuit.
To use the existing drives you will have to emulate the tacho signal with an very fast task. I have done this with ethercat, but i think this could also be implemented in an Mesa FPGA Board.

Finally I have ended up with mounting new Beckhoff Motors, because the Z Fanuc Motor had insulation errors amount an specific speed.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Panzergeist

More
04 Apr 2022 07:49 #239228 by Panzergeist
Been having a look at these mesa cards, and feeling a little out of depth. I've ordered myself a raspberry pi 4 and a screen to commit to convert an ender 3 v2 to linux cnc so as to get my feet wet.

Going forward with this project I have comitted to doing a servo driven spindle as a third axis on the tool carousel for light milling, tapping and gear machining. While this sure is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, the reality of my situation here on the frozen outskirts of northern europe is that machines costing less than the scrap iron in them dont come around very often at all.

Would any kind soul be willing to recommend a mesa board set up for this lathe application? In short im feeling constrained by my unknown unknowns. I suspect my familiarity with PLC eco systems are probably smuggling in a lot of pre conceptions of "what comes included in the box" and what does not.

More
04 Apr 2022 12:38 #239244 by tommylight
In general, i use Mesa boards as follows
1 of the following:
-5i25 OR 6i25 if the PC is in the control cabinet
-7i92 if the PC is at a console in front of the machine
-7i77 for servo analog control and encoders and 32 inputs and 16 outputs
-7i74 when i need more than 1 extension boards with more I/O, 8 boards can be connected.
1 or more of:
-7i70 for 48 inputs
-7i71 for 48 outputs
OR
-7i84 for 32 inputs and 16 outputs
Optional
-7i73 for pendant or control panel
--
Lately i am moving towards everything ethernet so 7i97 is such a board for analog servo that replaces 7i92 and 7i77.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Panzergeist

More
15 Sep 2023 06:03 #280810 by Alwyn
Panzergeist hi.
I have the exact machine that i want to try and restore. Can you help me with some wiring schematics of the operating panel please rats came into it.
Alwyn

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds