7i97 + 7i76D with Mesa Configuration Tool

More
24 Apr 2022 23:21 - 24 Apr 2022 23:22 #241125 by smc.collins
I recently purchased this machine, I have had large 20hp lathes for some time now, manual machines but, the need for a CNC lathe has arrived.

What I know, Arcadrives and a Reliance VS, has a hydraulic pump, a ton of pressure sensors and what appears to be a hydraulics steady flow lubrication system for pretty much the entire machine.  The machine is ALL DC controls. 

A few take away's, the tape drive still functions, as does the computer system, anybody want some of these parts ? I will let them go reasonably cheap. 

I am thinking I will be using a 6i25 and a 7i77 interface with a PC in the cabinet. Maybe 1 add ON IO card for all of the front panel and switch gear. I am however blessed with a complete set of prints and diagrams, which I would gladly share if I knew of a good place to host them reliably. 

the tailstock is a all hydraulic and has a pressure control system, and on the surface the tool change appears hydraulic as well, I think it's a ratcheting pawl system of a sort. I will know more once I get the machine moved in rigged this week. 

Has anyone converted a machine of this type before ? if not, would anyone be willing to contribute ? if so I can surely set aside some spindle hours to run your project. This machine appears to be roughly 22 swing by 60 Z with a 8 tool carousel. 

any and all help appreciated some compensation for programming PLC can be had as well. 
Last edit: 24 Apr 2022 23:22 by smc.collins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2022 00:55 #241128 by andypugh
Sounds like a fun project, and should be straightforward to get basic function.
I think that some of the ancillaries, and the toolchanger will be a bit out of the ordinary, but I am confident that LinuxCNC can do all of it.

I think the way to go from here is to carry on with the plan and come here with specific questions as necessary.

Can you compile a list of the inputs and outputs, and what they are? It sounds like you have a lot of analogue inputs, but then a 7i77 has a lot more of those than a lathe needs for the axes, so that might work out OK.

More
25 Apr 2022 17:31 #241223 by scotth
If I remember correctly, that was an 850 control.

Look at retrofittools.com/cincinnati-milacron-acramatic-850-interface

I have never used them, but it looks interesting.

More
25 Apr 2022 19:48 #241242 by smc.collins
That is really awesome, I am emailing them now, thanks a bunch !

More
25 Apr 2022 19:55 #241245 by scotth
Let me know what they say.

Did the 1212U have live tooling?

More
25 Apr 2022 20:28 #241249 by smc.collins
sadly mine does not, but some did. I am looking at buying a live tooling turret with more positions in the future and doing a add-on. Frankly I do not need to cut massive shafts, and I can always keep the old turret if I do

More
28 Apr 2022 16:07 #241510 by JR1050
I did a Cinci Talon awhile back. Machine runs regularly. Depending on the year , it could have encoders or resolvers for axis feed back. I’m not sure, but I also believe the bigger older Cincinnati lathes had multiple speed gear boxes. I have a resolver card that’s has very low hours on it if you decide to keep them, I’ll work you a fair deal. Do you have Getty’s or Siemens motors?

More
28 Apr 2022 16:25 #241512 by andypugh
The Mesa 7i49 works well with Resolvers. I like them so much that I swapped out an encoder and fitted a Resolver on one of the servos on my lathe.

More
28 Apr 2022 23:03 #241583 by smc.collins
the rigging company had to post pone, weather, so I do not have it yet here in hand to examine every component in it. this is a Cinturn 1212U, I talked with a company who appears to have a IO break out card, but they want to work with Centroid, and that's good and well. I offered to cut through the Forrest on this one however and help with getting one of those cards working with their IO rack and linuxCNC with mesa cards

It's Arca850 with a punch tape drive currently, but hey, the machine is solid. I'll probably dump any nonstandard stuff out of it if it looks like it will have a high potential for trouble, swapping encoders etc is no big deal imho.

More
28 Apr 2022 23:41 #241588 by smc.collins
what are the benefits when comparing encoders to resolvers ?

I will look into that 7i49 card as well. Mostly. I am concerned about the IO rack and the best way to handle it.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds