7i97 + 7i76D with Mesa Configuration Tool

More
28 Apr 2022 23:52 - 28 Apr 2022 23:53 #241589 by smc.collins
Best place to get these big schematics scanned ?? They are 18x26 by rough measurements, big paper  but getting frail. It's the full set of schematics afaict.

pasteboard.co/asyyXi4JY7pz.jpg

Last edit: 28 Apr 2022 23:53 by smc.collins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frede7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2022 13:31 #241640 by JR1050
There is no inherit advantage to encoders vs resolvers. Resolvers are a bit more robust . They are also more susceptible to noise. It occurred to me , as I used a 7177 /5i25 and a 7i84( for my pendent) , that you will need more then 16 outputs. The 1212 is a more complicated machine then a Talon. As you read they the schematics, consider all the ins and outs. Also consider the age of the machine and technology available at the time. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to plug into the original cinci I/o racks. The inputs are probably 24vdc and the outputs 110vac. I used an opto 22 rack for the out puts. A 7i77 uses inverted out puts so you will need the opto rack that works with them, which I can’t remember right this second. I used a terminal block model.
If you have Getty’s motors and drives, and the drives are N350 scr drives, consider replacing them. They a old as dirt, Gettys doesn’t like supporting them , hard to troubleshoot and troublesome. Gettys motors are insanely robust. Motors with the open tach have a 7v tach, the small enclosed Electrocraft tach is 3v .

More
30 Apr 2022 00:39 - 30 Apr 2022 00:42 #241691 by smc.collins
There exists a IO rack to rs485 system , and I am enquiring about it.

If I wind up doing a retrofit, the IO rack is coming out for sure and I am going to use at least 2 7i77 or something of that sort.

I will look into all of the finer details shortly, once the rigger drop the machine tomorrow. Actually they are dropping 4 machines tomorrow. The mills I have in hand, those aren't complicated outside of the tool changer. This lathe though, she's a whole other animal. 
Last edit: 30 Apr 2022 00:42 by smc.collins.

More
30 Apr 2022 15:44 #241718 by smc.collins
the lathe landed today, and the controls are 

Arca 900 real to real punch tape. So, it's a fully custom retrofit now. Definitely looks like resolvers for positioning. All DC controls, Reliance VS spindle drive and the only info I have on the servo control is that the say ArcaDrive. 

I will be heading to office max to get the schematics scanned and I will get them uploaded tonight

More
30 Apr 2022 17:04 #241724 by smc.collins
1st set of schematics, I have another set that looks slightly worse for wear, I am not sure if I should unroll them yet.

I am certain someone somewhere needs these

drive.google.com/file/d/1FgP3BYVFzbULthE...H-Q/view?usp=sharing
The following user(s) said Thank You: frede7

More
30 Apr 2022 17:18 #241725 by smc.collins
I just found the original source code on printed sheets in assembler, and it is surprisingly well commented. I will have to find a way to input all of it, it is on old school ruled lined printer paper I think 16 inches wide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 May 2022 23:50 #241820 by andypugh

There is no inherit advantage to encoders vs resolvers. Resolvers are a bit more robust . They are also more susceptible to noise. 

That's debatable. As an analogue device, it is true that noise might lead to a transient error in the position feedback. But there is no danger of noise leading to an _accumulated_ permanent error. As they are absolute devices they are particularly robust in that regard. 

I would say that the main reason to prefer resolvers or encoders is that you already have them. There is no good argument to swap one for the other. 
Resolvers have rather fallen out of use as they are a much more expensive than encoders. They only get used where their increased robustness is an advantage (high temperature, high vibration, risk of contamination, working when filled with oil...) 
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
02 May 2022 00:29 #241822 by smc.collins
I'm calling Mesa electronics tomorrow, fairly sure I'm sticking with resolvers. They are durable and are capable of the precision i need.

I could definitely use some help on this retrofit, the tool changer looks challenging.

I'm slowly flattening the second set of schematics gently, should be able to scan those tomorrow.

More
04 May 2022 01:56 #241965 by smc.collins
second set of schematics scanned, I am removing almost all of the wiring back to the relay cabinet. won't apply to me as much now, but figured maybe someone in the repair world might appreciate having a set of cinturn 12 schematics for a 1980 model machine with acramatic 900 controls

drive.google.com/file/d/1BGFrK_5f8lrwg6d..._5T/view?usp=sharing

More
18 May 2022 15:46 #243279 by JR1050
If you are gonna keep the resolvers, I have a Mesa resolver board with about 80 hours on it, I’ll sell it to ya for $120 and give you a hal file and ini for resolvers to get you started. A 7i49( I think ) needs a 5i23 to hold the resolver software. Keep in mind you will still have an encoder if you have a hand wheel and probably an encoder on the spindle. They could be run thru a parallel port, possibility thru I/o. I’m sure there are folks on the forum who have more experience then I in this aspect.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds