Mazak QT20 Automatic tool changer

More
16 Mar 2023 17:13 #266848 by dctrytsman
I am almost done retrofitting a Mazak QT20 lathe. This is my first ever retrofit and I am still learning how to do everything .

I am currently stuck on the automatic tool changer . It has an 8 tool drum turret that uses pneumatics to clamp and unclamp and an ac motor that turns the turret in both directions .It also uses 3 proximity sensors on an encoder wheel to detect the 8 different tool positions .

At this stage I have connected all of the original inputs and outputs associated with the ATC.

They are as follows:

Inputs :
1.tool position 1
2.tool position 2
3.tool position 3
4.turret clamped position
​​​​​5.turret unclamped position
6.Index sensor
7.turret pressure down sensor

Outputs :
1.Turret unclamp 1
2.Turret unclamp 2
3.Turret turn clockwise
4.Turret turn anti-clockwise

I have made 8 Classicladder outputs that work with the tool position sensors as inputs and managed to get all 8 tool position signals to work .I have manually tested each input and output with Hal component and everything works individually. I am not sure what to do next .How do I get the tools to change automatically using M06 commands ?

I don't have much knowledge or experience with Hal or Classicladder .Can someone please assist .

I attached images of the ATC mechanism.

The subscripts are as follows:
1-Tool clamp and unclamp position sensors.
2-Tool position sensors 1-3
3-Index sensor
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2023 02:48 #266879 by andypugh
You might not need Classic Ladder.
The "Carousel" HAL component is designed to control this sort of system. It really does need me to write better documentation for it, but it can read the 3 sensors, convert those into a tool position, and work out which direction to rotate to get the next desired tool.

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/carousel.9.html

It does not handle axis motion related to a tool change, though on a lathe you may not need that. (and the built-in retract options are probably enough)

You _might_ be able to link clamp-unclamp to carousel.0.active, or you might need to add some delays in HAL, or use classic ladder for the timing stuff.

More
17 Mar 2023 06:36 #266889 by dctrytsman
Thanks ,I will try this .

More
17 Mar 2023 11:52 #266904 by dctrytsman
How do I link a tool change to the M06 command ?

More
18 Mar 2023 14:01 #267001 by dctrytsman
The carousel component is working well now .I used gray code with 3 feedback pins .When I use the M06 command it works on each tool number except for T08 .

When I run M06 T08 the turret just keeps turning and never find T08 .Also when I use the carousel.N.jog-fwd and carousel.N.jog-rev it works up until T07 when I jog forward after T07 it does the same thing and when I jog reverse on T01 it also just keeps turning. What can I do to fix this ?

More
18 Mar 2023 14:16 #267002 by dctrytsman
I'm not sure if my net commands to I/O Control is 100% right either .
Which pins should be connected between the carousel pins and I/O pins ?

More
18 Mar 2023 15:21 #267006 by tommylight
Why two topic with same content?

More
18 Mar 2023 17:13 #267017 by dctrytsman
The other topic was specifically created for creating a new component for a Mazak tool changer that smc.collins is working on .At the moment I am trying to get carousel component to work with the machine and I didn't want to mix this with that topic .

More
18 Mar 2023 21:31 #267033 by tommylight

The other topic was specifically created for creating a new component for a Mazak tool changer that smc.collins is working on .At the moment I am trying to get carousel component to work with the machine and I didn't want to mix this with that topic .

Ok, let us know when or if we should change the tittle to better describe it.

More
19 Mar 2023 11:16 #267081 by dctrytsman
You are right ,the topics are misleading .I'm not sure how to change it myself, but feel free to change it to what you think is appropriate .
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds