CNC lathe help

More
17 Jun 2024 18:35 #303191 by cjacappella
CNC lathe help was created by cjacappella
Greetings linux forum members,
I bought this cnc machine that I was told  was running off of Linux. Does any of the members recognize this machine? Any help with getting it running would be apreciated. I was going to run it on an Older Acer computer with the usb prot adapter since it dosent have a seriel port. The Acer computer has 4 gb of ram storage.
CJ Cappella
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2024 20:09 #303200 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic CNC lathe help
That looks like a parallel port operated step/dir machine
so probably the simplest option is to use a PC with a parallel
port to control it.

General purpose USB --> parallel port adapters will not work
with LinuxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjacappella

More
27 Jun 2024 12:06 #303892 by wellingtoncsouza
Replied by wellingtoncsouza on topic CNC lathe help
Did you manage to run it?

More
28 Jun 2024 21:41 #303992 by cjacappella
Replied by cjacappella on topic CNC lathe help
The attached picture shows a usb to serielport plug with the capabilites to connect diferent pins together. Will this plug comunicate with the linux cnc program to run the cnc  lathe to  make a cutting path for wood turning?
The  below information is from the manufacture of this plug. Thanks CJ Cappella

Seriel  to usb cable information from manufactureThis USB cable allows a computer or Raspberry Pi to connect directly to an industrial CNC controller. The circuit inside mimics a RS232 serial port, so the computer software can utilize a standard COM port.Standard off the shelf serial cables will generally not work with industrial CNC machines because there are pins that need to be connected together on the DB25 connector. Custom cables can be purchased, or you can make your own. This USB to serial cable makes it easy to add the connections using internal switches that can be configured to your CNC controllers settings, rather than soldering wires together.
Attachments:

More
29 Jun 2024 09:36 #304011 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CNC lathe help
USB to Serial isn't relevant here. I think that plug is intended for transferring G-code to the controller, not for machine control.

USB to parallel won't work either.

Do you have a PC with a physical parallel port? (some have one as headers on the motherboard, but don't connect it to the rear panel)

You could also consider using a Raspberry Pi 4 (not 5 at the moment) but there isn't a config wizard for the Pi GPIO pins.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds